Forwarding E Mails To Many People

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:14 pm
One of my big beefs is the tendency of some people to forward E Mails with all the addresses attached. I have gotten E Mails with multiple forwards that contained the E Mail addresses of half the immediate world. On another thread, I told of a joke that I sent to someone..........for her eyes only. That *&^% person forwarded it to someone that I didn't know, who took umbrage at the joke, and wrote a nasty note to me.

Anyhow one of the gurus at my local computer club sent this to me. It is step by step instructions about how to forward E Mails...........................safely.

I know that none of the folks on A2K needs to be told about this, Laughing , you are ALL so computer savvy. The thing is, the instructions would be useful to send to your friends who are not!

Quote:
Great Information; we can all learn something from this! Do you really know how to forward e-mails? This was written by a system administrator for a corporate system. It is an excellent message that ABSOLUTELY applies to ALL of us who send e-mails. Please read the short letter below ...

Do you really know how to forward e-mails? 50% of us do; 50% DO NOT. Do you wonder why you get viruses or junk mail (Spam)? Do you hate it? Every time you forward an e-mail there is information left over from the people who got the message before you and sent it to you, namely their e-mail addresses and names. As the messages get forwarded along, the list of addresses builds, and builds, and builds. All it takes is for some poor sap to get a virus, and his or her computer can send that virus to every e-mail address that has come across their computer.

How do you stop it? Well, there are two easy steps:

1) When you Forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in the body of the message (at the top). That's right, DELETE them. Highlight them and delete them or backspace them or cut them - whatever it is you know how to do. It only takes a second. You MUST click the "Forward" button first though and then you will have full editing control.

(2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To:or Cc: columns for adding e-mail address. Always use the BCC: ( Blind Carbon Copy) column for listing the e-mail addresses. This way the people you send to only see their own e-mail address and no one else's. If you don't see your BCC: option, click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC: and that's it, it's that easy!

When you send to BCC: your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients" in the " TO:" field of the people who receive it, providing extra security and privacy to all the people in your Address Book.

(3) Remove any "FW:" in the subject line. You can re-name the subject if you wish or even correct spelling.

(4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 FW: pages to read the one page with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual, final page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to seewhat you sent. (Many people will not open all those emails for fear of getting a virus so your message may go unread.)

Have you ever gotten an email that is a petition? It states a position and asks you to add your name and address and to Forward it to a number of people or your entire Address Book. The email can be Forwarded on and on and can collect thousands of names and email addresses.

FACT: The completed petition is actually worth a couple of bucks to a professional spammer because of the wealth of valid names and email addresses contained therein. If you want to support the petition, send it as your own personal letter to the intended recipient(s). Your position may carry more weight as a personal letter than a laundry list of names and email address on a petition - and, again, you will protect the privacy of those in your Address Book and provide them additional security against viruses and spammers.

I am sure that each and every one of you know at least a couple of people who would benefit from this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,076 • Replies: 13
No top replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:18 pm
I know a lot of people who need to read this. Thanks for posting!

By the way - I HATE forwarded emails. If I felt like someone was sending me a joke that they actually think I would enjoy, I'd read it. But if I see "FW:", I click DELETE.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:22 pm
Oh yes!! Another good one Phoenix!

I get tons of emails from school and other mothers where
the trail of email addresses is about 2 feet long and the
actual message one line only. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
My Outlook Express (version 6, I believe...came with Windows XP) doesn't appear to HAVE a "BCC".

I was about to open a thread about it, actually...but if anyone can help me know how to make it appear from here, well, that would be great!

I knew how to do it on my old machine.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
dlowan wrote:
My Outlook Express (version 6, I believe...came with Windows XP) doesn't appear to HAVE a "BCC".

I was about to open a thread about it, actually...but if anyone can help me know how to make it appear from here, well, that would be great!

Create a new mail message.
Go to View at the top of the new message.
Click All Headers.
All Headers should noe be ticked and the BCC should now be available and will be visible for all new messages, replys and forwards.
Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:46 pm
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:48 pm
Now you're talking !

Laughing
:wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:51 pm
dlowan wrote:

I have Outlook 2003 SP2 (you can see what version of Outlook you have by clicking Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook). It also came with XP, so it might be the same one you have.

Helio's solution doesnt work in this version. But instead, once you opened a new message, you can click the little arrow to the right of the "Options" button in the toolbar (to the left of the dropdown menu that allows you to choose between HTML, Rich Text and Plain Text). If you click that little arrow, a short menu appears and you can click "Bcc:" there, and then the Bcc: field appears.

It will then appear every time henceforth.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:52 pm
Oh, OK, problem already solved I see!! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:56 pm
I love you too!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:09 pm
Oi !
Am I cast off so readily ?
My feelings so callously discarded and trampled upon.
Ohhh despair !
Bereft am I !
*sniff*

I shall gather my dignity and take once again my place upon the shelf.
*has a bit of a cry where no one can see*

Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:25 pm
Shocked Man, these e-motions are tricky to navigate :-P
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:27 pm
Quote:
(4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 FW: pages to read the one page with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual, final page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to seewhat you sent. (Many people will not open all those emails for fear of getting a virus so your message may go unread.)

So simple, so convenient, so often ignored.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 04:38 pm
Heliotrope wrote:
Oi !
Am I cast off so readily ?
My feelings so callously discarded and trampled upon.
Ohhh despair !
Bereft am I !
*sniff*

I shall gather my dignity and take once again my place upon the shelf.
*has a bit of a cry where no one can see*

Wink

I love you both!

In totally different ways!
0 Replies