Sextuplets story was hoax to help pay bills

Reyn

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:44 pm
Does the photo even look like a genuine pregnacy?

Sextuplets story was hoax to help pay bills

GRAIN VALLEY, Mo. - The library books on multiple births crowded the couple's coffee table. The bedroom-turned-nursery awaited the arrival of six newborns. But in the end, authorities say Sarah and Kris Everson never had the sextuplets as claimed. All they had was what appears to be a big lie.

The couple's dramatic story had holes in it from the start - from their mysterious withholding of information for more than a month to the unanimous response of area hospitals that they hadn't helped deliver the newborns.

On Tuesday, authorities said the mystery had been solved - the entire tale was deemed a hoax aimed at tapping the generosity of others to pay the couple's mounting bills.

"I have never dealt with anything like this," Police Chief Aaron Ambrose said. "The level of fraud like this involving people, I have not."

Gary Bradley, the city administrator, said charges against the Eversons were forthcoming. Prosecutors had not yet determined how much the couple profited from the scam or whether they would qualify for charges beyond the municipal level.

The Eversons - Sarah, 45, and Kris, 33 - claimed to have given birth to four boys and two girls on March 8. The babies were apparently in intensive care.

The tale exploded in the local spotlight Monday when The Examiner in Independence ran on its front page a photograph of the couple holding six one-piece baby outfits and announcing the births.

Those who heard the Eversons' sad story of tight finances set up a Web site to solicit contributions - including a van, washer and dryer, cash and gift certificates. A real estate agent was even working to find the family new housing.

Hours before admitting it was a scam, Sarah Everson showed an Associated Press reporter pictures of her in maternity clothes, her baring a huge pregnant-looking midsection, even sonogram images she claimed were of her infants. She showed off a tiny nursery, a closet full of baby clothes and the tiny diapers premature newborns must wear.

She said the entire story of her children's births was being kept secret by a court order enacted because a member of her husband's family was trying to kill the Eversons and their new sextuplets.

"I'm so afraid they're not going to make it," she sobbed. "Nobody understands how hard this is. I know that they're here. I know what I had to go through to get them here."

Sarah Everson said a detective begin questioning her Tuesday evening; Bradley and Ambrose said the Eversons were interviewed at the police station for about an hour, during which they revealed the story was a scam. They were released pending charges.

After the Examiner's initial story, the AP did not publish a story or transmit photos about the sextuplets over concerns of accuracy.

Reached by phone late Tuesday, Sarah Everson offered no explanation. "I'm not talking to anybody right now," she said, "because nobody gets it."

The Web site soliciting gifts was taken down Tuesday night.

Examiner Editor Dale Brendel said he was considering a front-page column to readers addressing the issue. He said the incident would force a review of his reporters' verification practices.

"I think that we fell victim to the hoax. There were people out in the community who were doing fund-raisers already, and we feel bad for them and for us that we were the victims of that," Brendel said. "In retrospect, there were things we could have done better from a newspaper standpoint, in terms of our investigations and trying to flesh out some of the red flags there were about the story."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/0412Sextuplets.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 613 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:10 pm
They should have said QUADRUPLETS. Fewer people would have questioned it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:06 am
First they ignored consequences of impulsive decisions and got themselves deep into debt.

Then they had an Unexamined Inspiration, implemented this Unexamined Inspiration and now they are deep in debt, nationally famous, and the focus of great interest from the local police.

Consistancy is not necessarily a virtue.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
So was this woman even pregnant at all? With any children?

I've read the article over a few times, and it may be possible that she didn't give birth to any children.

Do you think that the photo looks a bit too real?

My wife just said she heard a clip on TV and apparently this couple had done something similar to this before. Anybody else heard anything on this?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:32 am
She looks like she's about to give birth to a medicine ball.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
Wilson!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:44 am
It looks like to me that the whole thing was a scam from the start.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
Reyn--

I'm sure it was a scam. I'll bet The Authorities will prove it by a lack of stretch marks--just for starters.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
Here's a follow-up to the story. The couple have now come clean.

Couple Apologizes for Sextuplets Hoax

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - April 13, 2006 - A couple accused of falsely claiming they were the new parents of sextuplets apologized Wednesday for scheming to tap into their neighbors' generosity.

"We're sorry for everything we did," Sarah Everson said from the driveway of their home. Her husband, Kris Everson, vowed to pay back those who sent money or other items.

"We didn't mean to hurt anybody," he said. "We did it out of financial reasons."

The couple could face criminal charges for collecting cash and other gifts after making public their story of six newborn babies clinging to life. Police were still investigating how much money and other help the couple received.

Police Chief Aaron Ambrose said detectives would seek records on donations made through a bank fund set up for the Eversons, a post office box established to receive mailed gifts and an online PayPal account that allowed visitors to the couple's Web site to give money.

"We want to make sure it's a thorough investigation and all of our areas are covered," Ambrose said.

The births were said to have happened in March. The Eversons' story was printed Monday on the front of The Examiner in Independence with a photograph of the couple holding six one-piece baby outfits.

Sarah Everson, 45, allowed an Associated Press reporter into her home, showing off the tiny nursery ready for her four boys and two girls, awaiting their discharge from intensive care.

She told of the surgeries two of the babies would undergo, detailed her discomfort during her pregnancy and even showed photographs of her baring her pregnant-looking midsection.

"I want to be with them all the time," she said, breaking into tears. "I don't like being away from them."

After the Examiner's initial story, the AP did not publish a story or transmit photos about the sextuplets over concerns of accuracy.

Authorities said the woman and her 33-year-old husband were questioned Tuesday by police and came clean.

Examiner Editor Dale Brendel said he was considering a front-page column to readers addressing the issue. He said the incident would force a review of his reporters' verification practices.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:00 pm
Of course, they wouldn't be sorry if they didn't get caught.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:11 pm
This story has a different take on it than the other one. Here it says that they "expressed no remorse for their hoax". So, which is it? The media just can't seem to get it right.

Missouri couple lies about sextuplet pregnancy

Police say Sarah and Kris Everson claimed a false pregnancy in order to get a little extra cash.

The couple claimed to have given birth to four boys and two girls on March 8.

They even showed off baby clothes and pictures of Sarah with a huge belly.

Police shut down the so-called "Everson Six" Web site aimed at gathering the donations.

"They did admit that they do not have the children, the six children," said Aaron Ambrose, Grain Valley Police Chief. "The reason they did it, bills, they needed the money to pay bills."

Authorities say even though the couple admitted the sextuplet pregnancy was a lie they expressed no remorse for their hoax.

There's no word on what charges, if any, the couple may face.

49ABCnews
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:42 pm
If they truly had remorse they would have stopped the whole thing before it got out of hand. They were making money and they didn't want it to stop.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:54 pm
Nickfun--

That couple felt they needed extra money just as much as the parents of sextuplets needed extra money.

Frequently "I want" equals "I need" which equals "I deserve".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:53 pm
Now there's another hoax story. Check out the cancer one in this forum.... Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sextuplets story was hoax to help pay bills
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:23:18