ColdHearted

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:26 pm
Hi all, its me again... Shocked

Need a lil friendly advice....

I've talked about my boss, who has been my best friend for over 20 years now. All of a sudden, about 6 months ago, there was a change in him, it wasn't noticed at first...but now you can't miss it. He's making us so miserable that were all looking for new jobs.

He's drinking more, which I know is not the most novel approach at handling the stress of a business. But, its his mouth...and the words that are coming out of it that has us most concerned.

2 months ago, a former employee lost her battle with cancer. It was a shock to us that she had passed, (none of us knew) she was around the age of 47, left children and a husband behind. A friend of her's, also a former employee come in one morning and told us about her death. I sent my condolences, and uttered shock over it. Which I truely was.... Later that day, I repeated it to my boss...whose reply was.. "Good!" "She needed to die, that worthless bitch robbed me the whole time she worked with me.." Shocked

There were no other emotions, ...I, to put it "Redneck"...crawled right up in the middle of his back and flogged him over his statement. With no doubts left, he understood that I felt he was a cold hearted SOB, and how wrong he was.....for that. That she was someone's mother, sister, daughter...and how do you think they felt about it?"

Another death come around about a week later, a former running buddies...father had died. He mistook which "Steve" we were talking about, and the same cold hearted remark. "So...who gives a ****". Then he figured out it was his former buddies father, and he gave some hint of emotions about it. Actually gave a condolence to his friend. Further than that...nothing. No respect paid, no nothing.

Then two weeks ago. A very sad accident took place. A very good friend of ours...all of ours, died in a tragic accident. He left behind his wife, and adopted son and daughter. The whole town was shocked by his death. This man, had friends from all walks of life, and we all had memories of him from some of the former escapades that we lived through..to tell.

Moving on....

Today, this man's wife walked into the store, she's having a very hard time with his unfortunate death. And considering its only been two weeks, I feel its to be expected, ITS TOO BE EXPECTED AS LONG AS SHE FEELS THE NEED TO MOURN. This man was the love of her life...she was head over heels in love with him...no doubts!

Our BOSS......had the nerve to say...after she walked out of the store..."What? Is she still milking that?" Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I unfortunately wasn't there to hear it, I promise you, if I had of been, I would have flogged him again, and probably would have quite my job over it. This was one of his former best friends.....this is his wife standing there....this is someone...a person, who has feelings that are deeply injured, and may stay that way for a very long time...and he's making comments about her "milking it"?

What kind of person does that? I am so lost at his loss of feelings, emotions, compassion....sympathy, respect....

Its not just me, we are all looking at him like he's lost his mind, that he's this wicked human walking amongst us....Day of the living Dead....

Someone got a clue? Alcohol...I'm sure thats part of it, but this man...I believe the only thing that would upset him is loosing his money. Then I might see a tear.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 36
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:28 pm
eeyikes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:37 pm
He's living, perhaps suddenly, in a self involved isolation where everyone else is other. You've known him a long time?

First, I might look into ways to shore up my own options, MMS.

But past that, into helping him, I wonder.
Do you know anything that happened to him about six or seven months ago?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:40 pm
Something really bad is going on with him.

I bet he's suicidal.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:44 pm
Hi Osso..and Lil K.

First...yes EIKEs!!

Osso...no, nothing that I can think of. There hasn't been any changes other than his personality.

Nothing troublesome...except that I know he's drinking wayyyy to much. I know...because I usually make his liquor run for him. He's drinking about a gallon of whiskey every 4-5 days. But he's always drank...just not that much.

I'm looking at options...the "out" options. I have 9 months left in school, and was trying to hang on till then. But he's gotten to so hard to deal with, that everyone of us...are looking to leave. And we used to LOVE out JOB!

I just don't understand what would make someone turn to cold hearted and bitter.

And...I've known him for over 20 years...he was my friend first, boss second. We used to spend hours on the phone...talking like two women...he's quit that, kinda isolated himself. The only people that he's with are his girlfriend that lives with him and one of her kids.

Ummmm...dunno......but things are looking bitter.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:48 pm
I've wondered about the suicidal tendacy. Don't know....

He's such a strong willed individual. He was so good to all of us, now he's looking at all of us like were the scum of the earth.

Constantly bickering at us, up until two weekends ago, when I flogged him...AGAIN. He explained to me, that I wasn't doing my job. As in, I wasn't eating anyone and everyone's ass out, the minute they didn't do their job. And then explained to me, they were a dime a dozen, and replaceable.

Ok...uhhum. So am I.

I jumped him back........told Him I was just as replaceable, and that if he didn't get off my ass, that I was fixing to find work elsewhere.

He backed off.

He's a money freak...claims the business is loosing money. That isn't so...I see the books, I write the checks...I know whats there, when its there, where it goes.....

Dunno?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:49 pm
Could be that something went south in his relationship that he doesn't want to talk about.

That she cheated on him, or he's become impotent, or something... who knows.

Sounds like job one is to get yourself out of the situation -- but the 9 months left in school, that sucks.

Good to see you here, meanwhile.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
And I hate to get a topic started and haul...but I have to get up at 3:45 in the morning....so, I'll pick this up tommorrow....

Thanks...

Help me figure this one out...I care about the man, but not liking him at the moment.

He needs some help, and I don't know where to start.

Except to confront him, he ...at one time, he took my word very seriously. He knows that I say what I mean, and mean what I say...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:54 pm
Agree, good to see you here. And agree re something going south. Think the booze is a symptom, not the cause. Not that that amount is good, not that it doesn't open up the channels for paranoia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:08 pm
Oh, and I'd secure your options before confronting him. If you walk out/are fired because he gets defensive, then what...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:23 pm
Good point, osso.

Hi MMS, good to see you but sorry to hear your story. Are you able to take a worried about him approached? Perhaps from the standpoint of how close you used to be and you don't understand what's got him so riled?

I think you can be honest with him and tell him that he isn't the person he used to be and see if maybe he'll open up to you.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:56 pm
I agree with J_B about asking him privately why he isn't the person he used to be....but I'd still line up other job options in case he doesn't react well.

Good to see you again, no matter what the reason, MMS!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:05 pm
Yes. Should have said----nice to see you back!!

As osso, I think the drinking is a symptom of something worse.

You don't turn on mankind with such a vengance unless there's something seriously wrong. (says me, anyway.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:50 am
MMS--

Something could be wrong physically. He could be wrestling with a diagnosis--or feeling rotten and refusing to go to a doctor because of what the doctor might say.

Interesting, isn't it, that death really brings out the nastiness in him?

Unfortunately, alcohol is a depressant, so the more he drinks, the more miserable he'll get.

Are you on chatty terms with his live-in? She can't be having a happy time with this transformed personality.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
This kind of a transformed personality smells like drugs, drinking (which is a known quantity) and/or some sort of brain disease or injury. Something has changed this guy's personality, and those things don't happen without good chemical or organic reasons.

If it's drinking that's causing it then something else is causing the drinking. The ideas of a diagnosis of some sort, or a relationship issue, hmm, they're definitely possibilities. And you, MMS, and your coworkers, and everyone else, are this guy's punching bags.

I think J_B has a good idea, to approach it like, "Are you okay? Is something wrong?" that sort of thing but also, covertly, look for something else.

All the sympathies to you. Glad to see you, of course, just wish it was under better circumstances.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:35 pm
book marking
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
Well....

(Sozobe) Could be that something went south in his relationship that he doesn't want to talk about.

*Not sure...have wondered, to hear him tell it...the relationship is the most wonderful relationship that he's ever encountered. But, its it is so wonderful...they two of them have to stay drunk to stand one another. The truth is, when I make the liquor run, I'm actually buying 3 half gallons, two for him, one for her. There is a mixed drink in their hands every evening....no matter what.

The impotence issue...well, wouldn't know, I do know he's a very sexual man, and that alcohol adds to that issue....

Drugs? No....know how he feels about that, there is no way. The man barely takes an asprin, unless its for a headache.. Embarrassed

J_B & Osso...Yes, I can be honest with the man, can talk to him in a very persuasive way. But he's pushed away from not only myself, but everyone that he was close too, and feel that he doesn't want any intrusions....he's isolated himself.

He has two businesses...one just newly created. And has way too many irons in the fire.

My husband...who is ...or was his best friend, is wondering whats wrong with him? Boss would call every night...2 or 3 times a night, now...doesn't call at all.

Where we spent every weekend together cooking out, they are now absent. Have to many excuses to show up. Besides...we quit calling. We just cookout without them....

Maybe its the Girlfriend....they have been together for over 2 years now. And it seems that its been one mini drama after the other since her arrival. I'm not close to her, I've tried to like her, and part of me does....but she has this arrogance about her, that she's better than everyone else....makes it hard to open up to that. (She's also the one that I was talking about in another post, that drove me crazy where my husband was concerned!)

I just dunno...need to quit worrying about it, I have enough on my plate to start with. I just felt that maybe someone would have a different angle on this, than what I come up with.

He come in this morning to work quietly, never speaking to anyone. Snuck in, went to work. Before, he would stay up front for 10 minutes or so talking, then stick his head in with me and talk....

Just silence....then sneaks out the back door to do his thang'.

Ya'll wanna talk about my sister? LOL She'd fit this catergory! Twisted Evil Shocked :wink:
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:25 pm
I do have to say, that there is one more dimension to this, that I have failed to add. Not sure to throw it in there, but lets just say that I feel a very guilty mind is working hard on him....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
Well, there she is. We missed you MMS Smile
--

Hm, regarding your friend and boss: When people have such
drastic personality changes, they're mostly very ill. When in
our 20s, we had a friend who all of a sudden came across as a completely different person. When his wife insisted on a physical, they found a brain tumor, partially to blame for his irrational behavior (among other things).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
That could make sense, mms..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ColdHearted
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:25:20