Remote Desktop

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
Evening all.

I've been trying to get Remote Desktop working for a while now unfortunately without success.
It says that the 'host name cannot be resolved'.
I have also tried VNC but that's so absurdly complex and involuted I gave up.
PC Anywhere is a rip off and there's no way I'm paying hundreds of pounds for something that's upposed to be built into XP anyway.

So, anyone have any idea how to get Remote Desktop working so I can help out my parents when they screw up their PC ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Spikend

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:34 pm
Hey!

I am using realVNC. I think it works great. The importance there is to have the right settings. I am using it in my home nettwork.

So, if you don't suspect anyone else trying to use it on your parents computer, do it like this:

- Install VNC on both computers

Their SERVER configure:
AUTHENTICATION: the only marked should be "No authentiacion".
CONNECTIONS: (let it be like it probably should be)
INPUTS: all exept "disable local inputs while server is in use"
SHARING: "always treat new connections as shared"
DESKTOP: only marked: when last client diconnects, "do nothing"
CAPTURE METHOD: marked: Use VNC hooks to track changes, "poll console windows for updates, capture alpha-blended windows.

(dont have time to explain the rest now, editing tomorrow).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:06 pm
I've have pcanywhere workining on 3 pc's no problem.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:46 pm
A couple quick questions, Heliotrope; is the machine intended to be the Terminal Services host running WinXP Pro (or Server), and have you installed the Remote Desktop Client on all Windows machines intended to connect via Remote Desktop to the Terminal Sevices host machine?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
I think he's trying to use the Remote Desktop built into Windows XP.

Make sure that the Windows firewall has an exception for remote assistance or remote desktop. Make sure that the machine is not behind a firewall, or if it is that port 3389 is forwarded to the host.

You can use an IP address instead of a machine name. You can find a machine's Internet accessible address by going to http://www.whatismyip.com. Run "ipconfig" from a command prompt to see the machine's local IP address.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:33 pm
Make sure that "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is checked under the "remote" tab of System properties.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:53 pm
DD, unless the intended Terminal Services host machine is running WinXP in Pro or Server version, the intended client machines have Remote Desktop Client installed, all machines, including the pertinent software/applications/settings, are properly configured, and both host and client machines are in the same named domain, he's pretty much at a dead end with Remote Desktop - all of that hasta be all together for any of it to work.

That precisely is why 3rd Party programs such as GoToMyPC and VNC have a market. They fill the need created through the intracacies of WinXP's native Remote Desktop; many, many users prefer an easier, more user-freindly method.
0 Replies

Spikend

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:42 am
I think VNC is working good. Just remember to have the right configure and IP.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:05 pm
timberlandko wrote:
...and both host and client machines are in the same named domain...

Exactly.
That's the problem.
I use Remote Desktop and NetMeeting in work all the time to take control of machines to do things with them but they are all on the same domain under the same server on the same network.
My parent's machine is 250 miles away and connected to the web via a cable modem so there's no way we can be on the same domain.

OK, I'm looking at PC Anywhere again but what about the monthly charges for it ?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:20 pm
Netmeeting and RDP will work with machines in a different domain, although you do need an account with the right to log onto the machine. (And it must be an Admin account to boot, for Netmeeting connections to an NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP machine.)

You must have a route to the machine, port 3389 must not be blocked anywhere along the route, and remote connections must be enabled on the host.

They can also E-mail you remote assistance requests, as long as their IP address doesn't get network address translated.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:23 pm
I've never heard of monthly charges for pcAnywhere. You buy the product, and install it.

There are Internet-based products that will work without having to worry about firewalls (mostly).

Go2mypc has a free trial offer. (Go 2 My PC without spaces, if the spamblocker catches this....)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:31 pm
I tried that Go2MyPC thing and it was a nightmare !
I'd rather go with something not web based.
They're serious hard-sell merchants too.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Netmeeting and RDP will work with machines in a different domain, although you do need an account with the right to log onto the machine. (And it must be an Admin account to boot, for Netmeeting connections to an NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP machine.)

That's no problem. I have an account on there already.
Quote:
You must have a route to the machine,

This is the hard part.
Quote:
port 3389 must not be blocked anywhere along the route,

Errrrr.... what ?
I don't have any control over that. We're dealing with multiple ISPs and two separate software firewalls. Norton Internet Security primarily.
I have no idea what port forwarding is or how to access these so-called ports or where they would be if I knew what they were.
Quote:
and remote connections must be enabled on the host.

Yep.
That's sorted.
Quote:
They can also E-mail you remote assistance requests, as long as their IP address doesn't get network address translated.

That's the problem isn't it.
Their IP get's changed en-route.
It's all very well me getting their IP by calling them up and doing the old IPCONFIG thing over the phone but there are zillions of computers out there with that IP address but only one of them with their particular path.
How do I tell the software that I want that one particular machine and not someone else's ?

It's like on Remote Desktop.
It asks you for a computer name. So I give it one.
How does it know that I want the folks' computer and not the NSA's main server that just happens to be called Mom&Pop's PC ?
Same grief with the IP.

Basically I want something I can either install on my machine or they can install on their machine that I can then use to take control of their computer.
I do not want to pay for two sets of software and neither do I want to have to drive for 8 hours to take my copy up there just to install something on their machine using my copy because the damn thing requires a "client".

I do get a bit irate with this entire process so please no one take offence. I'm not hassling anyone.
And I appreciate the help.
I'm learning here.
0 Replies