Chiropractor Claims He Can Go Back in Time

Reyn

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:41 pm
Chiropractor Claims He Can Go Back in Time

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A chiropractor who claims he can treat anyone by reaching back in time to when an injury occurred has attracted the attention of state regulators.

The Ohio State Chiropractic Board, in a notice of hearing, has accused James Burda of Athens of being "unable to practice chiropractic according to acceptable and prevailing standards of care due to mental illness, specifically, Delusional Disorder, Grandiose Type."

Burda denied that he is mentally ill. He said he possesses a skill he discovered by accident while driving six years ago.

"My foot hurt and, knowing anatomy, I went ahead and I told it to realign and my pain went away," Burda said Thursday.

Burda calls his treatment "Bahlaqeem."

"It is a made-up word and, to my knowledge, has no known meaning except for this intended purpose. It does, however, have a soothing vibrational influence and contains the very special number of nine letters," Burda's Web site says.

The board alleges in three counts against Burda that the treatment is unacceptable and constitutes "willful and gross malpractice." Burda has until May 1 to request a hearing. The board can levy penalties ranging from a reprimand to revoking his license to practice, said Kelly Caudill, the board's executive director.

Caudill said she could not discuss the board's allegations while the investigation continues and could not comment on whether any of Burda's patients had complained. She said the board began the investigation when it learned of Burda's Web site. Burda said he likely will seek a hearing.

Burda said he charges nothing for his first "visit," usually by phone or Internet, and subsequent treatments are $60.

"All treatments are satisfaction-guaranteed. Treatment is always done before payment is made," Burda said, adding that one patient "just wasn't satisfied, and I tore up her check.

The Web site describes the treatment as "a long-distance healing service (not a product) to help increase the quality of your life that can be performed in the privacy of your home or other personal space. There is no need to come to my office."

The treatment is not telepathic because the patient does not have to believe in what he's doing, Burda said. He has treated hundreds of patients and reports nine out of 10 patients are satisfied, he said.

While he knows of no other people who have his particular skill, he said lawmakers and regulators should allow alternative forms of treatment for the patients who seek them.

"People who are in need cannot go to these people because they are not allowed to practice. This is terrible," Burda said.

----------------------------------------

Mr. Burda's website: Bahlaqeem
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 517 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:49 pm
When I first read this, I dismissed it out of hand. Then, I had remembered that back in the 1960s and 70s, I had read books about Edgar Cayce (READ HERE). I feel that his abilities were genuine. This Burda could possibly have the same.

The official site of Edgar Cayce's A.R.E.

Is anybody else familar with his works?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:59 pm
Reminds me of the Crash Test Dummies' song, "Afternoons & Coffeespoons", particularly the part I bolded below.

What is it that make me just a little bit queasy? There's a breeze that makes my breathing not so easy I've had my lungs checked out with x-rays I've smelled the hospital hallways Someday I'll have a disappearing hairline Someday I'll wear pajamas in the daytime Times when the day is like a play by Sartre When it seems a bookburning's in perfect order- I gave the doctor my description I've tried to stick to my presciptions Someday I'll have a disappearing hairline Someday I'll wear pajamas in the daytime Afternoons will be measured out Measured out, measured with Coffeespoons and T. S. Eliot [b]Maybe if I could do a play-by-playback I could change the test results that I will get back[/b] I've watched the summer evenings pass by I've heard the rattle in my bronchi...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 03:02 pm
bm
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
interesting link, Reyn. check out this testimonial:

Quote:
Attention pet owners read the following from a dog.

"I am a 10 year old Bassett Hound and I have been in a lot of pain in my neck area. I would even wake up during the night and yowl from the pain. My owner called Jim Burda and described the way I was moping around and walking with my head down. Over the phone he was able to work on me. He found the area in my vertebrae that was out of place and was able to manipulate it into place. I am feeling much better and I hold my head up high again. There hasn't been a reason to yelp now for several weeks! Thank you." DaisyMae

The above was written by Daisy Mae's owner KL.

if your dog needs a chiropractor, Mr. Burda might be the only alternative.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:33 am
Yup, I had already read it.

I'd say he was a quack, but you must be satisfied with your treatments before you pay him.

There's something about it that I feel that it might be for real. It sounds goofy, but sometimes these things are genuine.

I'd certainly not dismiss it without trying it out. I don't a person has anything to lose here.

One person who wasn't satisfied, he ripped up their check.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
It's possibly the old pills of chalk cure. Give'em the phoney pills with a promise; expecting to feel better, one consequently gets well, or at least better. Placebos often work.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:06 am
Reyn, it's either noble of him or clever PR to refund money, or maybe even just an attempt to forestall legal difficulties. his *practice* could still harm people if their conditions get worse by not seeking conventional treatment first. anyway, be interesting to see how his *case* turns out.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:32 am
Are either of you familar with the works of Edgar Cayce?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:47 am
i knew of him, a reputed seer i thought, from the US Midwest perhaps, but i never read anything by him.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
Quite a remarkable man. He was able to diagnose, as well as heal, in addition to the seeing stuff.

I once saw his son, Hugh Lynn Cayce, give a talk in Vancouver many years ago on his father's works and the organzation A.R.E.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Chiropractor Claims He Can Go Back in Time
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:31:49