Man Fined for Pilfering Butterflies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:27 pm
Man Fined for Pilfering Butterflies

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - A self-proclaimed conservationist was fined $200 for stealing butterflies from a swamp with the help of his 11-year-old son.

Joseph R. Wampler Jr. pleaded guilty in federal court to one misdemeanor charge of taking butterflies from protected lands without permission. He was fined Tuesday, and could have received up to one year in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Wampler raised suspicions almost as soon as he walked into the office of the Great Dismal Swamp Wildlife Refuge last June, refuge manager Deloras Freeman said.

Freeman contacted a law enforcement officer, who trailed Wampler and watched him and his son collect butterflies and pack them into boxes.

Wampler, 48, of Middletown, Del., conceded that what he did was wrong but said he and his son were only gathering the butterflies as a hobby.

"I'm a conservationist," he told The Virginian-Pilot. "I'm not a collector, and I've never sold a butterfly in my life."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 325 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
Butterflies are free - or so I thought.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
These nuts are real problem. We have an endangered butterfly in my area and some guy was running around try to catch and pin them. When he got caught he admitted he was going to see if he could sell them on Ebay. You should only capture butterflies with your camera.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:51 pm
Green Witch wrote:
These nuts are real problem. We have an endangered butterfly in my area and some guy was running around try to catch and pin them. When he got caught he admitted he was going to see if he could sell them on Ebay. You should only capture butterflies with your camera.

I'm not a "collector" myself, so I have little sympathy for those gathering various wildlife for their collections just for the sake of it.

I agree. Better to take pictures.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:33 pm
"Great Dismal Swamp"! What a fantastic name! (It's Gus' stomping grounds, isn't it...) (Hey, does Gus have an 11-year-old son...?)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:54 pm
Man Fined for Pilfering Butterflies.

butterflies?

the DEATH penalty!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm
At least! Although, maybe pulling off his arms and legs and then the chair would be appropriate. :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:59 pm
I would be happy if they just pinned his arms to a board.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:05 pm
Make him run around flapping in a giant butterfly costume while conservationist hunt him down with giant nets and put it on the local public access channel.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:23 pm
speaking of which I havent seen 'Butterfly' today...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man Fined for Pilfering Butterflies
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 07:27:05