Appropriate Times to Telephone

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:34 am
I am a lark. My husband is an owl. Even though I am up at the crack of dawn, I would not dream of phoning someone before 9 A.M., or after 9:30 p.m., unless I knew the person very well, and knew that they were up and about before or after those times. I also won't call anyone between 6 & 7 p.m., as most people are eating dinner at that time.

My husband called a neighbor last night. He returned the call.....................at 7:05 this morning. He explained that he turns off his phone at night when he went to bed. (My husband called at 9:30 p.m.)

Even though I was up, the phone ringing at 7:05 A.M. scared the crap out of me. I have a very elderly mother, and had a couple of seconds of high anxiety before I realized who was on the phone. A call at that hour, in the past, usually meant TROUBLE.

On the other hand, when my son was single, he had no problem being awakened by girlfriends at 2 in the morning, even on a work day.

Do you have times when you think that calling friends and/or relatives is appropriate? What are they? Do you consider that any time is the right time for people to call?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,040 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:08 am
On the weekends, I wouldn't call anyone before 10:00am.

On any evening, considering the time zone and assuming the call will take half an hour, I wouldn't call them past 8:00pm THEIR time.

Friends know we never answer our land line, and to announce who it is on the answering machine.

I've had my best friend call and it would be way early enough, but, you know what, I just didn't feel like talking, so let him leave a message. If it's just a chat call, we'll hook up sometime in the future.

Cell phones are more apt to get answered at my house....even then, neither one of us feel any particular obligation to pick up the call.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:39 am
Quote:
On the weekends, I wouldn't call anyone before 10:00am.

Chai-I have been retired for awhile. When I was working, I wouldn't call before 10 on the weekends also.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:40 am
I'm a morning person, but I wouldn't call before 9 am on a weekend-- unless I knew the object of my call was up and about and/or expecting my call.

Maybe that was the deal with your neighbor calling so early?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:43 am
blacksmithn wrote:
I'm a morning person, but I wouldn't call before 9 am on a weekend-- unless I knew the object of my call was up and about and/or expecting my call.

Maybe that was the deal with your neighbor calling so early?

No, in fact it is a standing joke in my neighborhood that my husband does not venture out until the sun is high up in the sky, and this guy knew that.

I think that the guy just was not thinking. He's a tennis player, and is up with the roosters.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:45 am
Thoughtless people suck.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
For personal calls 9am to 8pm is about it for me. On weekends I try not to call anyone before noon. The only person I call outside of those hours is the kid because I know she never goes to bed until the wee hours of the morning and doesn't get out of bed until about noon-ish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:17 am
I'm inconsistent in my hours.. sometimes I stay up late, sometimes I go to bed early. In any case, I am usually awake by 6 a.m. But... I don't really want to engage the telephone world until much later than that in the morning, and or after quite early in the evening. Getting even a friendly - as opposed to news of ill health - long distance call at 9:30 pm will rev me up with lots of conversational/mental energy, and I'll have trouble shutting it off to go to sleep - I like and need wind down time. So, unless it's urgent, I don't call others, for my own reasons re engaging in talking, after eight at night and rarely before nine in the morning.

Depends on the friend's hours.. some of my friends have near opposite hours to mine and I'll pay attention to that, trying to get them by phone somewhere midway in their up-time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
I rarely make any phone calls. I also monitor my caller ID and only answer when I think it's appropriate (according to my idiosyncrasy).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:24 am
9 to 9 seems about right, with it changing to 10 to 9 or so for the weekends.

We try to leave the phone if it wakes us up but, bottom line, it's already woken us up. When my mother was ill, late or super-early telemarketers really got my wrath.

We also tend to not answer while we're busy with other things. Since my Mom is fine, there's no urgency to get every single message.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
No, any time is not the right time to call ME. I have always hated when people call late at night or early in the morning; unless we agreed upon it beforehand or it is very important. I never ignore a phone call, because I am a paranoid sort.

I have a good friend who has always called 'just whenever': which translates into 3 and 4 in the morning, ohh any time really! It pisses me off. This friend sleeps with his cell phone by his bed; and will answer half-asleep.
I'm the opposite. I like having control of my environment; including calls. Sometimes you have to give a bit though with a very good friend: neither one will change.

I usually will try to call someone according to what I know of their hours/schedule. If in doubt, I don't call til I know I will get them. For emergencies, I'll call at any hour.

I can really understand the phone scaring you that early in the morning. Mornings are for easing into the day: not getting electroshocked. lol.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:42 am
9 to 9, and we've turned the ringer off in our bedroom. My kids were getting calls at all hours of the night. The phone ringing beside my head woke me up and then I couldn't get back to sleep. We told them to tell their friends we weren't answering any calls after 9 at night and would let all calls go to the answering machine after 9. It helped, but turning the ringer off in the bedroom was the most help.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:24 pm
I'm not much of a phone person at all, but during the week I won't call before 9am (sometimes later depending on who I'm calling) or after 8pm.
On the weekends I won't make any personal calls before noon.

I have a friend who use to call me in the middle of the night sometimes when she was out partying and that drove me nuts.
Nothing like being woken up out of a dead sleep to have your drunk friend rambling in your ears.
She stopped doing that when I moved to Canada and she got married :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:32 pm
Oh the school disctrict has this way to call you like reverse voice mail and ask if you want to work, those suckers alwasy call at 5:15 am when I'm in the shower, well it get's the dog all wound up for the 4 rings it takes to go to the voice mail.

I got conditioned as a kid when the telephone rings like after midnight to dawn it's like alwasy 99% bad news.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:58 pm
This is really interesting.

Not as many phone talkers has I thought.

that's what I like about here, I can talk, or stop whenever.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 01:01 pm
Yeah, it's kinda nice, and A2K never woke me up when I was sleeping :-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 02:47 pm
I know a guy who NEVER answers his phone directly. He always lets the calls go to voice mail, and then decides if he wants to call back.

I have "thing" about a phone. although I don't yak on the phone a lot, I always want to know who is calling, immediately.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 02:49 pm
Me too. I like the caller ID for sure :-)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I rarely make any phone calls.

I'm with you on this one, Edgar. I hate talking on the phone, period.

My wife and I only ever talk to family, for the most part.

Occasionally, it'll be the doctor's or dentist's office calling - that sort of stuff. Or, I'm trying to get information.

I absolutely hate sales calls, charities, or any type of soliciting type phone call. If we want it, or want to give, we'll do it all on our own, thank you. I'm extremely curt with those types, or simply just hang up.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 06:42 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I rarely make any phone calls. I also monitor my caller ID and only answer when I think it's appropriate (according to my idiosyncrasy).

Ditto
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Appropriate Times to Telephone
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:24:57