Spring Forward

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:31 am
littlek wrote:
personally, I think DLS sucks. I'd love to see it abolished. BUT, that won't be happening, I see, so I have to learn to live with it.

Really, k?
Why?
I love it being so light, well into the evening. (once my body adjusts to getting up earlier!)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:32 am
She can't do the math.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
Because:

1. I'm a naturalist. I know why we changed the time when we farmed, but so few of us do anymore and those who do can now use electric light for that last hour. The sun still sets much later in the summer even without the change, why mess with the system?

2. At the winter solstice, the sun sets here at around 4:15pm. I'd much rather have it set at 5:15pm in the winter even if that means it sets at 8:30pm in the summer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:43 pm
Well that makes sense, k. But me, I've become addicted to those long, warm, balmy evenings. Just perfect for being outside in the garden, having a glass of white on the back verandah or maybe walking down to the shops to get a little extra something around 9 pm. I would never dream of walking down to the shops alone in the dark. ( Not wise!) It's a very pleasant & relaxing time for me, high summer & daylight saving! Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
littlek, I'd probably give the shot at 11:30 for a couple days and then move it out to 12:00.

I'd like to see DLS abolished too. That's not the way it's going though. It expands next year to the first Saturday in March and goes through mid-November starting next year.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
Or, if that means you have to stay up until midnight to give the other shot, then I'd stay at 11:30 for a few days and then move it back to 11:00 and 11:00 (I don't do midnight).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:04 pm
littlek wrote:
Because:

1. I'm a naturalist. I know why we changed the time when we farmed, but so few of us do anymore and those who do can now use electric light for that last hour. The sun still sets much later in the summer even without the change, why mess with the system?

2. At the winter solstice, the sun sets here at around 4:15pm. I'd much rather have it set at 5:15pm in the winter even if that means it sets at 8:30pm in the summer.

You obviously don't have little kids who like to play outside.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:22 pm
Dangit! With all the fun I had with craven's april fools joking, I forgot to shoot my cat at all until just now. Poor kitty.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:58 pm
Aw, I'm sorry about that, k.
I hope all is ok?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:07 am
Me, I was just starting to write reports (online) before all the hi jinx started .... I didn't get very far, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:55 am
I was supposed to be reading a book for a review for school..... So. It'll be post lunch today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 04:29 pm
Do any/many of the European countries use a daylight saving's time?
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:59 am
Re: Spring Forward
Bella Dea wrote:
It's that time of year again! Time to set our clocks one hour ahead this Sunday!

Don't forget, or you'll be late! :wink:

I'm glad you're setting your clocks ahead...my weekly phone meetings are going to be an hour earlier..... Cool
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:05 am
J_B wrote:
Do any/many of the European countries use a daylight saving's time?

We just have British summertime (clocks forward) and wintertime (clocks back), but I wish we'd go an extra hour forward overall.

They tried it here about 20 years ago, one hour forward in Spring, and another hour forward about two months later.

Everyone down here in the South of Britain loved it....nice long sunny evenings.

I loved it, but there were complaints, mainly from Scottish farmers and the safety organisations re. milking of cows etc, and kids going to school in the dark.

Times have changed now, as most kids get taken to school by car.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:10 am
littlek wrote:
personally, I think DLS sucks. I'd love to see it abolished.
Me too, how lame!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:18 am
Went to bed at my ususal time last night...up at usual time today....got about 2 hours sleep in between.

ugh...my body doesn't like this, nor my mind....I don't like it staying light so late. I like the sun going down early.

I'll get used to this, but come the fall when we turn the clocks back, I'll feel so happy.

god, I can't even think straight right now.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:38 am
I woke up at 4:00 this morning too. It's going to be a long day.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:47 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

We just have British summertime (clocks forward) and wintertime (clocks back), but I wish we'd go an extra hour forward overall.

They tried it here about 20 years ago, one hour forward in Spring, and another hour forward about two months later.

Everyone down here in the South of Britain loved it....nice long sunny evenings.

I loved it, but there were complaints, mainly from Scottish farmers and the safety organisations re. milking of cows etc, and kids going to school in the dark.

Interesting about the second hour adjustment. By mid summer that would give Chicago a 9:00 pm sunset. I'm not sure I'd like that.

I can understand the concerns in Scotland, particularly in the winter when they only have about 5 hours of daylight. In December we get down to 9 hours between sunrise and sunset with daylight between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm. We're on the eastern edge of the time zone, the folks in Michigan and Indianna already have a dark start to their workday during the winter.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:38 pm
I wouldn't mind DLS but I need to get up really early during the week, which means I need to go to bed really early. I hate going to bed when it's still light out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Spring Forward
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/13/2024 at 12:21:59