Manliness

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
My reaction to this book is that Mansfield is an unrepentent misogynist.

What is a misogynist?

---BBB
Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Harvard government professor Mansfield delves into philosophy, literature and science to define manliness and to argue that it should have a place in an increasingly non-gender-specific society. Throughout, Mansfield clearly states his intentions, and though he may have convinced himself he accomplished his goals, readers will be skeptical; when, for example, he sets out to "elevate manliness from aggression to assertion and thereby discover its connection to politics," he jumps from Hemingway to Achilles before posing a question that has little more than a thin patina of importance: "In our time there are many who say that heroes lack humanity and few who will admit that humanity needs heroes. But at all times heroes have to assert themselves. The question is, what is in it for us?"

Similar murky questions and non-sequitur lines of logic continue throughout: "Man has fearsome powers of wisdom and fire over beasts. All beasts fear fire, which perhaps represents the Promethean gift of technology." This clunky chain of supposition is followed by a brief foray into The Jungle Book. But Mansfield's theories on gender equality are likely to create the most conversation: "women are the weaker sex," "women's bodies are made to attract and to please men" and "now that women are equal, they should be able to accept being told that they aren't, quite" all appear on the same page. Mansfield set out to write a provocative book, but ended up penning a juvenile screed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:49 am
I'm not sure how "manliness" came to be equated with hatred or disdain for women.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
It isn't, necessarily. But the review of this book seem to indicate a superior, condescending attitude toward women which certainly could come under the heading of misogyny.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:55 pm
Perhaps the book should be considered in the light of the fate of Larry Summers, the former president of Harvard. The shrill and ultimately fatal reaction to his very manly (as the term was used in the book review) assertion of what in fact was a commonplace and truthful observation about women in the sciences was a perfect illustration of the timeliness of this work and the merit of the author's point.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:22 am
I have some obvious objections:

Quote:
"women's bodies are made to attract and to please men"

This is implying that that's the sole function of a female body, which is false. If you were to go by that argument, then you could also say that men's bodies are made to attract and please women as well.

Quote:
"now that women are equal, they should be able to accept being told that they aren't, quite"

He's confusing equality in terms of rights or value, to equality in terms of abilities. Noone is equal in terms of abilities, but the creed of equality is that we are all equal in value and thus have equal rights.

Quote:
"women are the weaker sex,"

If he meant that women have less potential in building up physical strength, then he would be correct, but to say that someone is "weaker" is as vague and pushing it as anyone can get. Weaker in what? Weaker to what extent? Always weaker? It also has negative connotations to it. He should have just said, biologically women tend to have less potential physical strength than men.

Quote:
the manliness of the women's movement.

That means that what he's calling manliness is not as "manly" as he would like to think. It's present in both gender populations.

Maybe I shouldn't trust everything that the review is saying, but I'm not liking what I've read.

You want to know what makes a person a male? Having an XY chromosome.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:11 am
If you want to hear Mansfield's explanantion of "Manliness" you can watch his C-Span interview. It will shock you.

http://www.booktv.org/feature/index.asp?segid=6898&schedID=408

BBB
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:18 am
Thanks, but I think I've had enough of his so-called "manliness." Laughing
0 Replies