Picture of Dorian Grey

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 08:52 am
I started to read this book around Christmas then gave up as it wasnt that interesting.I picked it up this weekend and started reading it again.
Its just beefed up a bit,a character has died(wont say who incase others are reading it)

What I cant get over is the total self centredeness of Dorian!!
I know im only half way through the book but Im hoping things will change, and attitudes will be explained.Maybe it was just a different era and people were really like that.

Anyhoo, has anybody read this book?

What did you think of it and what other Wilde books do you recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,003 • Replies: 10
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 01:09 am
It's a good read. Dorian's selfishness and unconcern for others advances steadily to what we would call sociopathic evil. Meanwhile he remains outwardly young and unaffected by time or events. His portrait however becomes the image of his soul as you will see. The point is exaggerated for literary effect and a bit clouded with Edwardian manners, but perhaps many of us have encountered such characters in our lives.

If you like the novel, you might try one of Wilde's plays. Start with "The Importance of Being Earnest" - an excellent comedy and satire..
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 02:43 pm
I had a good time with that book. Good, not great by any means, but simple and straightforward for the most part. Good read.

But, sorry to say, I haven't read anything else of Wilde's, though I've been looking into it.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:43 am
Does your copy of Dorian Grey have "The Happy Prince" at the end of it? Some editions include it; it is only a few pages long. If you don't have it, you can Google it. So very different from Dorian.

If you ever get the chance, see the movie of The Picture of Dorian Grey with Angela Lansbury in it - it is very true to the book and very well cast.

Importance of Being Earnest is very witty, bright and seemingly superficial, yet it is a wonderful essay on the society of the times.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:15 pm
"The Ballad of Reading Gaol." It's cool just for the way they spell jail. Wilde spent some time in prison, and they hanged a man while he was there.

"He didn't wear his scarlet cloak
for wine and blood are red,
and wine and blood were on his hands
when they found him with the dead,
the poor dead woman whom he loved
and murdered in her bed.

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
by each let this be heard.
Some do it with a bitter look,
some with a flattering word.
The brave man does it with a sword,
the coward with a kiss."

I never have understood this, but it's good writing nevertheless.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:30 am
Im about 15 minutes away from Reading Gaol.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
material girl wrote:
Im about 15 minutes away from Reading Gaol.

Would this be in London? If so is Newgate Prison still there? This is another famous-or infamous- British prison, what with Defoe's "Moll Flanders" and Dickens.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:36 am
No, Im about an hour away by train from London.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:54 am
Spoiler

Oh my God, Dorians just stabbed Basil!!!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:03 pm
"The Picture of Dorian Gray" is indeed enthralling but I am afraid that it is read mainly for its grotesque ending. I enjoyed WIlde's "The Critic As Artist" much more. I think it reveals the real Wilde and is filled with some of the most interesting aphorisms Wilde wrote.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:06 am
Theres a grotesque ending!!I cant wait.Bought it in to work today so I can read it if its not busy.
0 Replies