Balloons Used To Treat Sinus Problems

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
Balloons Used To Treat Sinus Problems
Doctor Calls Procedure Safe, Simple, Effective

BURLINGTON, Mass. -- For millions Americans who suffer from chronic sinusitis, headaches, congestion and difficulty breathing are part of the daily routine. But a new procedure being done at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington is offering new hope.

Boston television station WCVB reported that balloon sinuplasty is helping some patients breathe easier.

Michele Lynch, 24, has lived with the symptoms of sinusitis her whole life -- congestion, ear infections and painful headaches.

"(The headaches were) like a knife in my head, like a pick, and then they'll go away, but throughout the day I'll always have them," she said.

She thought it was allergies or a cold, but the problems wouldn't go away. Decongestants and nasal sprays did nothing to help. When she lost hearing in her left ear, Lynch turned to Lahey Clinic Dr. Peter Catalano for help.

"After CAT scans, he discovered I had chronic sinusitis, which actually caused my eardrum to collapse," Lynch said.

Catalano recommended that Lynch undergo a new procedure called balloon sinuplasty.

"This technology is very akin to angioplasty for coronary disease," Catalano said.

In the procedure, a small balloon catheter is inserted into the nostrils and guided to the blocked passageway. When the balloon is inflated the passageway opens, allowing the sinus to drain and function properly.

http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0324/8234175_320X240.jpg

"Previously, we had to use cutting tools to remove this tissue to expose the opening, and that's traumatic to the tissue. (The old method) gives you unpredictable healing, potentially scarring and causes congestion and sometimes pain after surgery," Catalano said.

Lynch's procedure was over in about an hour. She'll be able to return to work the next day and will be completely healed in three to four weeks. Catalano said the procedure is a safe and simple way to treat sinusitis before it leads to more serious respiratory problems, such as asthma.

"Between 30 and 40 million Americans at any one time are treated for chronic sinusitis. It's a leading health problem in this country, as well as worldwide," Catalano said.

Catalano is one of just 10 doctors performing balloon sinuplasty in the U.S. and the only doctor certified to perform the procedure in New England.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 585 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Balloons Used To Treat Sinus Problems
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 08:36:24