Wily Coyote Captured in Central Park

Reyn

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
Wily Coyote Captured in Central Park

NEW YORK (AP) - He's one tourist city officials hope WON'T be coming back.

A wily coyote paid a visit to the big city, leading dozens of police officers on foot and in a helicopter on a loping chase through Central Park before being captured Wednesday.

"For a coyote to get to midtown, he has to be a very adventurous coyote," said city Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. Officials said the animal may have wandered into the city from suburban Westchester County, or perhaps crossed the Hudson River from New Jersey via a bridge, a railroad trestle or a passing truck.

Officials said the tawny-colored animal, nicknamed Hal by park workers, was about a year old and weighed around 35 pounds. Hal proved quite adept at avoiding capture, jumping into the water, leaping over an 8-foot fence, ducking under a bridge and scampering through the grounds of a skating rink.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/CITY_COYOTE.sff_NYR108_20060322145448.jpg
In this photo provided by the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, a coyote is caged that was captured in New York's Central Park, Wednesday March 22, 2006. Officials said the tawny-colored animal, nicknamed Hal by park workers, was about a year old and weighed about 35 pounds. He proved to be quite adept at avoiding capture, jumping into the water, ducking under a bridge, and scampering through the grounds of an ice skating rink after authorities thought they had him cornered Wednesday morning.

Hal was caught near Belvedere Castle, close to 79th Street and Central Park West, after being shot with a tranquilizer gun at close range by a police officer.

All the while, news helicopters tracked every turn in the chase, and it was broadcast around the country.

While coyotes usually shy away from people, park visitors were warned to keep their pets on their leashes for their own protection.

The animal will be taken to a wildlife center outside the city.

Hal is believed to be only the second coyote ever spotted in Central Park, Benepe said. The last one was seven years ago. As for why a coyote would venture into the park, Benepe said, "At that age, they're frisky and curious to explore the turf."

It is unclear when Hal arrived in New York, but the first sightings came early Sunday. The hunt began Tuesday afternoon, and at one point authorities said they hit the coyote with a tranquilizer dart, apparently to no effect.

Coyote sightings in Westchester County have increased rapidly since the 1970s. In 1997, 15 sightings were noted, but many encounters are no longer even reported unless they involve the loss of a pet. Several dogs have been snatched from backyards.

Officials worry that as the coyotes settle into a suburban existence, they may lose some of their fear of people.

"We used to say, 'No, you don't have to be worried.' We're not saying that anymore," said Gordon Batcheller, a biologist with the state.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 683 • Replies: 14
No top replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:08 pm
Wasn't that wild! To think that he just wandered into the city is just incredible.

Remember the show dog that ran away in NYC last November? Was it ever found?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
Wow....well, actually, it doesn't surprise me all that much. Or, maybe it does surprise me considering that it is an island. But, then again, maybe it doesn't: they did reintroduce themselves onto cape cod and they had to take bridges to do that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:30 am
The NY Times said they think Hal came down from Westchester, probably taking the Spuyten Duyvil, possibly swimming.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:36 am
Littlek
I hear they're becoming a big problem on the Cape.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:44 am
They make nice boots. A top quality coyote pelt goes for about $75 these days.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:50 am
<sigh>
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:52 am
jespah wrote:
The NY Times said they think Hal came down from Westchester, probably taking the Spuyten Duyvil, possibly swimming.
I heard he took the A train.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:57 am
Actually Montana they are hugely succesful and have no natural predators, except maybe wolves and mountain lions. It doesn't surprise me at all that at least one found his way into NYC. I'm positive there's more.

When cats and small dogs begin disappearing as well as the local rabbit population, you can bet you have coyotes nearby.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:05 am
Amigo wrote:
jespah wrote:
I heard he took the A train.

First Duke Ellington joke I've heard all month! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:33 am
cjhsa wrote:
Actually Montana they are hugely succesful and have no natural predators, except maybe wolves and mountain lions. It doesn't surprise me at all that at least one found his way into NYC. I'm positive there's more.

When cats and small dogs begin disappearing as well as the local rabbit population, you can bet you have coyotes nearby.

I know. There are some in my area, but I haven't seen any for a few years now.
The hunters around here seem to be trigger happy and I'm sure they kill them regularly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:50 am
Unfortunately hunting isn't the best method of control of coyotes. Unlike deer, yotes are extremely social year round. Hunters tend to take the larger, older, and more aggressive yotes, which just gives the rest of the pack the right to breed.

Trapping is the preferred method for yote control.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:52 am
I didn't know that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
Trapping is a year round job. I don't trap.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:56 am
I learn something new every day :-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wily Coyote Captured in Central Park
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 03:33:19