Squashed snakes sought for scientific study

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
Now kids, don't try this at home, right?

Squashed snakes sought for scientific study

Roadkill is set to help scientists unlock the largely mysterious world of snakes in the far north of Western Australia.

Travellers are being asked to keep their eyes out for specimens that can be studied.

David Pearson from the Department of Conservation and Land Management says venomous and whip snakes from the Kimberley are of particular interest.

"The thing is they're only useful when they are really fresh," he said.

"For instance if a snake is hit during the night, you get it first thing in the morning or that very night, by the time the sun gets to them and birds of prey and other things like that, they are smelly and a bit putrid - no one wants to see them in their freezer and they certainly don't make good museum specimens!

"If they've been run over a couple of times by a road train, they're not very useful!"

Travellers are warned to make sure the snakes are dead before they collect them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 288 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:10 pm
yeh but thats when they taste the best.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:15 pm
When they're squashed, or not dead? Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:30 pm
Interesting. Once when I was an adolescent (before I started travelling with a camera, so no shot), I saw a squashed snake and it appeared that she had baby squashed snakes coming out of her. Do any common N American snakes bear live young? Could they have been squashed out of their egg sakes?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:00 pm
garter snake bear live young. Oviviparous I believe they call it.

Reyn, road kill snakes are good eating fresh watch Survivorman.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:07 pm
Yep, it was a little black snake and we have many in this area.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Squashed snakes sought for scientific study
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 06:29:26