I Tried a Segway!!!

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:41 am
Every year my community has this huge outdoor festival. This year, there was a distributor from Segway, who enabled people to try out the gizmo.
I tried it, and I must say, that it was a lot of fun, and pretty easy to maneuver.

The problem is that the small model runs about five grand. I could see certain instances where a product like this could be useful, but for the general public, I don't think that it has much application.

For instance, they have a model that holds a golf bag. I think that if I were a golfer, I would prefer a Segway to a golf cart.

I remember the hype that was going on before the Segway was introduced. According to the reports, it was going to "revolutionize" the way that people got around. I really doubt that, although the salesman told me that Segway has 100 dealerships across the US.

Have you ever tried one of those things? Do you think that many people would find it useful? Would you?

http://static.flickr.com/56/114623097_b80823eb16.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 972 • Replies: 26
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:57 am
I've never tried one personally, but I do recall someone else having a go at it.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9210/bushsegway8np.th.jpg

Must be Hard Work. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:00 am
The only thing that I didn't like, was backing up. I have an inner ear problem, and I found myself getting a little dizzy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:06 am
That Phoenix is a plucky gal.

Yeah, I think they have to bring the price WAY down before they become at all popular (rather than expensive and seldom-used toys).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:08 am
The salesman mentioned that the security people in a large mall use it to get around. That sounds like a practical use to me!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
Seems like it's a nice toy for a warm weather area. Wouldn't be practical where there's rain and snow and blistering heat - you'd only be able to use it outside a coupla months a year.

Definitely a no thanks for a golf course - I want something with a roof to protect me from the sun if I'm out on a hot August day.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:03 am
Phoenix! I'm envious!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:22 am
The office my sister works in has a Segway and she brought it home one weekend for all to play with. They are fun after that first minute or two of getting used to balancing on them.

They just don't seem very practical for much more than an interesting toy though. They don't go very fast and they are very heavy.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
I read that they are being used now by the police in the German city of Kaiserslautern. I guess they are using them to get around in pedestrian zones. The police men liked them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:31 pm
Quote:
They don't go very fast and they are very heavy.

fishin'- They can go up to 12 mph, which is not very fast, but could have its uses. I would imagine that there might be a problem dragging them in and out of a car.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:55 pm
The Segway is a solution in search of a problem. In most situations where it might be applicable, walking or a bicycle would work just as well and is a whole lot cheaper.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 01:47 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The Segway is a solution in search of a problem. In most situations where it might be applicable, walking or a bicycle would work just as well and is a whole lot cheaper.

What you just wrote reminds me of something that I had heard a long time ago. Remember Victor Borge? He was the pianist/ comedian. He once spoke of his uncle. Seems that the man developed a cure for which there was no disease. He took the cure.........................and he died! Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 01:53 pm
Victor Borge was a great Dane
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 02:01 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Victor Borge was a great Dane

He was really one of the greats. He was an accomplished musician, yet he loved to fool around with the piano.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 02:07 pm
That was also one of his jokes. He had a whole collection of non sexual double entendres.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 03:18 pm
I tried a Segway!
As a pedestrian I'm bothered by the thought of Segways on sidewalks - have you ever been knocked down by a bicycle? As a driver I'm bothered by the thought of Segways in the streets. And there certainly is a limitation on the amount of stuff - groceries, etc - you can carry when riding one.

I guess I don't really see the point of Segways.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:52 pm
Quote:
I guess I don't really see the point of Segways.

Tomkitten - For pedestrians, I tend to agree with you. Now I know that there are commercial models, which might prove useful in a warehouse, a post office, and other large areas where employees need to get from one part of a building to the other. I do believe that the heavier models are able to carry a certain amount of baggage.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 06:12 pm
I think Segways would be terrific in Africa. They have those flat barren plains where the earth is cooked hard with just a few insignificant cracks which shouldn't impede the progress of the Segways at all.

The African warriors could all grab their spears and jump on their respective Segways and take off across the Seregenti in search of the elusive eland. Once the eland was spotted the warriors can begin their leisurely pursuit.

Can you picture it? A whole shitload of African warriors on Segways chasing down an ever-tiring eland.

I think this is one of my better ideas.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 06:42 pm
I tried a Segway
You're right; they should be useful in large buildings & I believe some industries have tried them with good results. But even the industrial strength models can't carry large cartons or computer monitors and such. I wonder if anyone has tried hitching a little red wagon behind their Segway...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:28 pm
Take a look at this:

http://www.segway.com/solutions/government/

Gus- I think that your plan is brilliant. Now if you could find a lobbyist in Washington to convince the senators to authorize a few million bucks for the African warriors................................... :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Tried a Segway!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:37:53