Compare these 2 photos!

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 01:35 pm
Last Thursday afternoon, I took the below photo of a scene that was being filmed for a commercial at a local park, as I had posted HERE. I thought it was a pretty good action shot, and I figured that same evening I would send it via email to the editor of our newspaper here. I felt I had nothing to lose by doing so.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/1515/9696899.f2cdd2.jpg

Now, compare the shot taken by one of their staff photograhers of virtually the same scene. The scan is a bit rough, but you can make it out.

Their photographer took it from the other side of the lake that I was on, so it's just a different view. The trucks in the background are from the film crew, and (in my opinion) distracts greatly from the overall scene.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/1521/9735663.a2afa3.jpg

I feel my photo of the same event was in many ways much better than the one printed. It shows both boats being used, the spray is much better depicted, etc.

So, I'm wondering, if they had not had a photographer on the scene, did I have a good chance to get my photo on the front page of the newspaper where this one was?

Ah, opportunities missed! :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
I actually think that the second foto, while not as clear as yours, conveys motion better and the helicopter blade inyour color foto is all tangled up in the wires. If youd have played with editing out the wires and had the entire helicopter clearly showing, it would have been a shot that would have conveyed motion.
Look at the shots like an editor, what are we trying to convey? The newspaper shot is stripping out most of the surrounding elements and the chopper and the zodiac are really all that matter.
I did cartoons for a newspaper and had many rejected because they were too "busy". Newspapers remove all but the essentials in everything they print.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
Perhaps I could have made it a bit tighter, but looking at the original shot in the newspaper (I admit that the scanned pic is pretty bad), the trucks in the background don't add at all to the overall scene. The guy took it from a bad angle, in my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
Would like to hear a few more thoughts about this from others, if possible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
If you had put a loch ness in the lake, via computer . . .

Actually, the staff photographer had the inside track all along. The pics are similar enough, they went with the one they always deal with. Also, the farmer guy's mention of the wires is a good point.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:14 pm
Also, remember that reproduction on newsprint takes away a lot of the sharpness. As in, it's comparing apples and oranges to compare your photo and the one in the paper -- you'd have to see the original digital version of the one in the paper to properly compare. Could be that your spray would be even harder to see when printed, etc.

(I do like your pic, though. And I'm thrilled to see [in the paper] what it was all about! One of those little mysteries that nag at me until solved...)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:24 pm
I like rotor swells of your chopper pic
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Actually, the staff photographer had the inside track all along. The pics are similar enough, they went with the one they always deal with. Also, the farmer guy's mention of the wires is a good point.

Yes, I'm sure, Edgar, but a staff photographer can't be in all places at once. As it was, I noticed a number of pics taken by the same guy in the same edition. Myself, I think he was in a rush, because the side of the lake he was on, you can practically drive up to it. I had to hike to the far side. I still feel that I got the better photo angle. Yes, I agree the wires do detract some from my pic, but from his, the placement of the trucks is terribly distracting and spoils the overall look of his photo.
sozobe wrote:
Also, remember that reproduction on newsprint takes away a lot of the sharpness. As in, it's comparing apples and oranges to compare your photo and the one in the paper -- you'd have to see the original digital version of the one in the paper to properly compare. Could be that your spray would be even harder to see when printed, etc.

(I do like your pic, though. And I'm thrilled to see [in the paper] what it was all about! One of those little mysteries that nag at me until solved...)

Yes, I had considered that.

I think it all boils down to the staff photographer gets first dibs at a photo being in the paper. No problem.

I was idolly speculating though if he hadn't been there, whether or not my pic could have landed on the front page. I'd like to think that it had a good chance. :wink:
husker wrote:
I like rotor swells of your chopper pic

Thanks, Husk!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Compare these 2 photos!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 06:20:18