Spanish doctors cut 60-kilo tumour from woman

Reyn

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
Spanish doctors cut 60-kilo tumour from woman

MADRID (AFP) - Spanish doctors have removed a giant tumour weighing 60 kilograms (132 pounds) from a female patient at a hospital in the northern city of Cruces.

Surgeons had to remove a portion of the women's abdomen and perform reconstructive surgery in removing the tumour, the health officials in the northern region of Vizcaya said Thursday.

The patient, said to be clinically obese, was not identified.

Although weighing as much as a normal adult woman by itself, the tumour was less than half the size of the largest ever recorded to be removed intact.

In 1991, a surgeon at California's Stanford University Medical Center removed a multicystic ovarian mass weighing 302 pounds (138 kilograms), which Guinness World Records holds to be the biggest ever.

The woman survived and, according to Guinness World Records, she "left the operating theater on one stretcher and the cyst left on another."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 339 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
Why would they let the tumor ever grow to be this large, Reyn? Do you know? I wonder if it had to do with her weight or something? Perhaps financial reasons?

132 pounds! Shocked That's twenty pounds more than my total body weight! Shocked
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:58 pm
Sorry, I know nada about tumours. Perhaps one of our resident MDs can enlighten us. :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 06:12 pm
If someone weighs 800 pounds, they could easily miss that 130 or so was in a mass under their fat pad. Hell, it might have been a fatty tumor.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Spanish doctors cut 60-kilo tumour from woman
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:18:45