Aging Japan builds robot to look after elderly

Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 03:53 pm
Aging Japan builds robot to look after elderly

TOKYO (AFP) - A Japanese-led research team said it had made a seeing, hearing and smelling robot that can carry human beings and is aimed at helping care for the country's growing number of elderly.

Government-backed research institute Riken said the 158-centimeter (five-foot) RI-MAN humanoid can already carry a doll weighing 12 kilograms (26 pounds) and could be capable of bearing 70 kilograms within five years.

"We're hoping that through future study it will eventually be able to care for elderly people or work in rehabilitation," said Toshiharu Mukai, one of the research team leaders.

Covered by five millimeters (0.2 inches) soft silicone, RI-MAN is equipped with sensors that show it a body's weight and position.

The 100-kilogram (220-pound) robot can also distinguish eight different kinds of smells, can tell which direction a voice is coming from and uses powers of sight to follow a human face.

"In the future, we would like to develop a capacity to detect a human's health condition through his breath," Mukai said.

Japan is bracing for a major increase in needs for elderly care due to a declining birth rate and a population that is among the world's longest living.

The population declined in 2005 for the first time since World War II as more young people put off starting families.

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/1511/9673767.069799.jpg
The RI-MAN robot carries a life-sized doll at the Riken laboratory in Nagoya, central Japan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 6
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
I love the robots little tuft of green hair and the expression on his baby face. I also get the feeling he could drop me and not care less.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
If the epidemic of obesity continues, a tireless robot with no chance of back troubles, could be a marvelous assistant caretaker for the elderly.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:58 pm
Yes, I was thinking much the same for those confined to beds in long-term care home, for example.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:52 pm
But I shudder to think of how I'd feel if I was elderly and infirmed and a baby-faced robot had to carry me around! I think I'd die of fright!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
Nickfun--

By that time you won't notice anything unusual.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 01:23 pm
In combat, as in fiction, it is possible to bond with a robot.

Quote:
One EOD, nicknamed "Scooby Doo" by his comrades, had already selflessly completed 35 bomb disposal missions when he was dispatched to that great breaker's yard in the sky. According to IRobot Inc supremo Colin Angle, one distraught grunt pleaded with repair technicians: "Please fix Scooby Doo because he saved my life."

Angle explained: "I think it's very rational. [Scooby Doo] was someone, something, that was doing a great service for them and thus when they brought it back, it was viewed not just as a loss of a machine gun or a piece of body armor or a helmet. It was a loss of a contributing member of the team."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/25/robot_comrade/print.html
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Aging Japan builds robot to look after elderly
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 08:33:48