U.S. deserter likely to be released soon

Reyn

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:39 am
I saw this story on the news last night and was wondering why the fellow didn't take advantage of the amnesty program years ago. Seems fool-hardy to be crossing the border back and forth with this business hanging over your head.

Now, they could very well make an example of him for any Iraqi deserters out there.

U.S. deserter likely to be released soon

Last Updated Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:00:27 EST
CBC News

The United States will likely release a B.C. man who was arrested last week for deserting the U.S. Marine Corps nearly four decades ago, a spokesperson for the marine corps says.

Allen Abney was arrested at the border last Thursday while trying to enter Idaho from southeastern British Columbia. Authorities discovered he deserted in 1968 during the Vietnam War.

Abney could still be given a court martial and sent to a military jail for several years.

But Lieut. Lawton King, who speaks for the marine corps at Camp Pendleton, Calif., said that is unlikely.

He said the most likely outcome is an "administrative separation," a dishonourable discharge from the marine corps.

"Unless there is more information of a criminal nature or other factors that must be accounted for, most cases like these are separated administratively, and fairly quickly," King said.

King said most cases are handled within seven days.

Abney was 19 when he deserted because he didn't want to fight in the war.

Now 56, he lives in Kingsgate in British Columbia's East Kootenay region, in a house about 100 metres from the Canada-U.S. border.

He and his wife were heading to Reno, Nev., for a holiday when U.S. officials accused him of desertion and took him into custody.

King said Abney is being held in a military prison, where he has access to exercise facilities and a library and is free to make phone calls.

He denied rumours that the marine corps is stepping up efforts to hunt down and punish deserters.

"The marine corps does not man the borders. They're manned by civil authorities, and it was civil authorities who apprehended Mr. Abney."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 284 • Replies: 2
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Interesting, Reyn.

I thought there'd been amnesty declared for those who left the US rather than be involved in the Vietnman war. Perhaps I'm wrong?

This makes me wonder if there are still many US "draft dodgers" in places like Canada & Australia, etc, after all these years?

Does anyone know what the "official" situation is for these people if they want to return to the US now?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:35 pm
Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry about draft evaders and deserters. They definitely differentiate between the two.

The amnesty was in 1977 and granted in the form of a pardon by Carter for the draft dodgers.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » U.S. deserter likely to be released soon
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:33:28