More help with titles or artists....

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:02 pm
Hi again, this is sooo awesome!!! I had been looking for about 2 weeks now for a few songs for my mom, unsuccessfully, and finally found this place and got answers. Thank you!!! Now, I have 2 songs here that I can't find. All I know is that they are very old. My mom said she thought one was from around the 20's or 30's, and the other, maybe a little later. The first one goes: You made me love you, I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to do it. She is having a hard time remembering the rest, she just isn't too sure. She said there is a HooverRound commercial that comes on that that song plays on. I have never seen it though. The second one and pardon my spelling if it's not right, goes: Who's my little hoosie, who's my turtle dove.... Again, I'm sorry that's all I have to go on, but if you could work 2 more miracles, I would be very grateful!!! My mom as well. Thanks again, Melissa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 664 • Replies: 2
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:31 pm
They have been using this song in one of those...uh..electric chair commercials. I think it's been recorded by several artists over the years, but Judy was the first one I found.

Edit, just read further...Hoover Round commercials.

Judy Garland
You Made Me Love You

You made me love you
I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to do it
You made me love you
and all the time you knew it
I guess you always knew it.
You made me happy sometimes, you made me glad
But there were times, Dear, you made me feel so bad

You made me sigh for, I didn't want to tell you
I didn't want to tell you
I want some love that's true, yes I do, deed I do, you know I do

Give me, give me, give me what I cry for
you know you got the brand of kisses that I'd die for
You know you made me love you
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:51 pm
You Made Me Love You (Didn't want to do it) is a Judy Garland standard which made its debut along with Judy in her first creditted movie, the 1937 black-and-white MGM musical "spectacular" Broadway Melody of 1938 - a typical-of-the-genre overblown silly romance draped around a buncha more or less unrelated songs. As I recall, Sophie Tucker was a headliner in the movie, and the stars were Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell. I think Buddy Ebsen, TV's Beverly Hillbillies Jed Clampet was in it too. I dunno if its even available in the discount bins anymore, but it should pop up from time to time on channels like American Movie Classics. Judy sang it in just about every show, and its on lotsa her albums and on Judy Garland tributes. The song has been covered scores of times by all sorts of artists.

That second song sorta strikes me as something from a Dean Martin-Jerry Lewis '50s movie, but I'm not sure about that, and I'm too lazy to Google it right now. Anyhow, I think I remember Dean Martin singing it in a movie while playing the role of a club crooner, and Jerry Lewis' character heckling him from the audience. I think its "Who's my little Hoozie", but again, that one's foggy.

Can't really claim to be a fan of that sorta music - either song (though Peggy Lee did a pretty nice torchy version of You Made Me Love You) - but my folks were - 'specially my dad, and I heard a lot of that sorta music when I was growing up.
0 Replies