What Kinds of Books Do You Read for Pleasure?

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:19 pm
I'd be a much bigger bookworm if left to my own devices. I used to be able to read a lot more before sleep became an important element of my day.

Like I said, I didn't set out to read a lot of Australian writers but all of the books just appealed to me as I came across them. The way language is used has been the most challenging element -- so very different from American english.

The stories are really unprecidented too - not like any plotline I've ever really read before.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
A reader of my own heart, boomer! Very Happy Like me, do you frequent some good, pre-loved bookshops? An excellent way to trial unknown authors, I think! Anyway, if you ever feel like a bit more Oz reading can I make a recommendation? Tim Winton, whose an established "national treasure" at a surprisingly young age. He writes so well! If you see, say, Cloudstreet. Dirt Music, The Riders, The Turning, etc, etc, in a second-hand bookshop they might be right up your alleyway!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:53 pm
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm going to have some honest to god free time this Thursday and I had already plotted a trip to Powells (new and used shelved together!) into my agenda.

Are they all good or is there one in particular that you liked better?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:59 pm
Hmmmmm .... thinking, thinking ....

Cloudstreet, probably. But it's one of the longest. Maybe Dirt Music, or the Riders?
Hey, I just had a thought, boomer! Idea : if you're interested & have trouble finding any of these you could PM me & I could post a few off to you, via slow mail! I've received similar offerings from other A2Kers and thought that was great! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
That is a very generous offer, msolga. Thank you!

I'm betting Powells has it though. Powells is one amazing bookstore (even Dlowan has been known to order from Powells). I'm not afraid of long books! I'll look for it and the others and browse to see which one most catches my attention.

It's funny how I've gravitated towards the Australians. I think the stories and styles just seem so fresh -- even though three of the four I've read take place in the 19th century! Australia has such a strange history too that I'm sure that makes for a unique voice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:12 pm
OK, but I do mean it & it would be no problem at all. You see, I frequent an excellent pre-loved bookshop, boomer!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:29 pm
If I have a problem finding it I will most certainly let you know, msolga.

I don't get much time to read anymore but I am always on the lookout for something great.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
Quote:
Winton explores the haphazard nature of human existence with a quietly focused ferocity.

Quote:
Biblical imagery, a talking pig, a house that cracks its knuckles, a son who glows in the dark, and a mysterious black "guardian angel" add spice to a book whose language resonates and charms

Oh yeah. I think I'll like "Cloudstreet"!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:07 am
these sound fascinating

oh me. I couldn't choose from the list as I like a real mix, autobiographies. detective stories, good historical, lightweight historical. sci fi (some), the lot! except horror, never have liked horror films or books and loathe Stephen King.

Terry Pratchett is one of my feel good reads, I love his humour and take on life.

Dorothy Dunnett my all time favourite 'good' writer.

I must look out for Cloudstreet.

I read far too much!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:21 am
Vivien wrote:
I read far too much!

Impossible, Vivien!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:37 am
Very Happy not what himself and Rosie say!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 02:21 pm
I picked up Cloudstreet today.

I'll put it as next up on my reading list!

It certainly starts off good. Thanks for the recommendation msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:54 am
Vivien wrote:
Very Happy not what himself and Rosie say!

Stick to your guns (or books!) & don't let them distract you, Vivien!

(I'm just imagining the kafoofle that'd develop if you actually did try to ignore Rosie for a mere book! Laughing )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:55 am
boomerang wrote:
I picked up Cloudstreet today.

I'll put it as next up on my reading list!

It certainly starts off good. Thanks for the recommendation msolga.

Wow! I'm amazed you found it so easily, boomer! Surprised

I'm really looking forward to see what you make of it. (It's very Australian!)
0 Replies