Accident victim allegedly fakes blindness

Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
Accident victim allegedly fakes blindness

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - A motorist accused of blinding a bicyclist in a hit-and-run accident was cleared of charges after a doctor determined the victim was faking his injury.

James Arrigoni, 45, of San Anselmo, had been accused of swerving his pickup truck into a cyclist who made an obscene gesture with his finger a year ago.

Torrin Arnold, 26, of San Anselmo claimed he hit his head on the pavement and lost his vision.

He appeared at Arrigoni's court hearings wearing dark glasses and using a cane, and attended Braille school and was given a guide dog by a San Rafael nonprofit group, said defense attorney Jim Collins.

The case drew wide support from cycling enthusiasts who sponsored a fundraiser to help pay Arnold's medical bills and urged the district attorney's office to file criminal charges.

Prosecutor Paul Haakenson told a Marin County Superior Court judge on Thursday that he decided to drop the charges after reviewing medical records from an ophthalmologist who determined Arnold was pretending to be blind.

Arnold said he plans to pursue a lawsuit against Arrigoni.

"The people around me know the truth and that's what's important to me," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 247 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
I don't understand how this could have been pulled off at all. If one is blind their pupils do not dialate, correct? Wouldn't a doctor know immediately if someone was blind or not even with just a cursory examination?

I know that this has been pulled off on soap operas before but in today's day and age of science? Curious that.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Accident victim allegedly fakes blindness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:24:05