The Wiry Hair of a Wooly Mammoth

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:42 pm
We play scavenger hunt on Saturday nights and the first thing on my list was the wooly hair of a wooly mammoth. I pretty much tore the house apart already, to no avail -- no mammoth hair here -- but I do know a spot where I might be able to procure such a follicle.

So, I'm off, with a few of my buddies, in search of the elusive mammoth hair....

http://www.travelwizard.com/alaska-vacations/images/valdez-vacations-02.jpg

What is the most unusual or exciting object you have had on a scavenger hunt list?

This will be a scavenger hunt thread, where all things scavenger hunt are discussed.

I expect this thread to have the life span of a frog dropped into Antarctica, but I just felt it necessary that A2K had a scavenger hunt thread.

I've done my part.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,697 • Replies: 43
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:44 pm
Never been on one.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:44 pm
Can't say that I've ever taken part in a scavenger hunt, gus, but I do have a mammoth sized cat. Would the hair from him work Laughing ?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:49 pm
Eye of newt and toe of frog
Wool of bat and tongue of dog.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:52 pm
I've never been on one and now I'm really ticked off about it! This just so isn't fair!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
Does an easter egg hunt count?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
A copy of the Australian Womens Weekly without a royal on the cover!

nobody could find that one

A dog with 3 legs!
We bought a toy dog and performed surgery. It qualified
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:05 pm
The price of macadamia nuts at the grocery store across town.

(Had to do that one in costume, too. Imagine me as the Queen of England, trailing my purple velvet, ermine-trimmed cape down the supermarket aisles.)
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
I've been on a scavenger hunt, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of the items we collected.

Must've been a good party.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:10 pm
I have only been on a scavenger hunt as a part of a pub crawl. I remember finding many bars and many drinks, but not much else.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:11 pm
Eva wrote:
The price of macadamia nuts at the grocery store across town.

(Had to do that one in costume, too. Imagine me as the Queen of England, trailing my purple velvet, ermine-trimmed cape down the supermarket aisles.)

Laughing Laughing Laughing I can actually picture this Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:14 pm
Hmmm....(scratching head)....I think one of those orange traffic cones may have been one of items....
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:14 pm
Hmmmm, I have a wooly mamouth eye round roast in the freezer left over the last ice age. Maybe we can take some of the dna to a local lab and have one duplicated. Meanwhile, I have a tailbone from a Tiber River saber tooth tiger. Could that be of any help?

Eva what kind of perfume would you wear?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:38 pm
seaglass wrote:
Meanwhile, I have a tailbone from a Tiber River saber tooth tiger.

That's interesting. Over the years I've known maybe a half dozen people who could make that claim.

It's getting dark here so I may have to set up the tent and continue the search in the morning. I thought I had found the wiry hair of a wooly mammoth but it turned out to be that of a marmoset.

As I examined the marmoset hair in the fading light, turning in and examining it carefully, I was beginning to suspect that it wasn't a wooly mammoth hair because of the thickness. I took out my micrometer and began to take measurements. At that point I heard a noise and turned to see an inquisitive marmoset sitting on a plant, observing me, apparently without fear......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/deadcityradio/8989PygmymarmosetTurcoc2004.jpg

I looked at the creature, then at the hair I had been examining, and realized I was in possession of a marmoset hair.

The search will begin anew in the morning.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
There you go, here is the hair. Now you can sleep in tomorrow...

http://www.chichesterinc.com/images/woolly%20mammoth%20hair%20hi%20res.jpg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
Thanks, Jane.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:18 pm
seaglass wrote:
Eva what kind of perfume would you wear?

Interesting question. I would have said Chanel No. 5, but that's French. No self-respecting British monarch would be caught wearing something French, now would they. I wonder if there are any good perfumes created in England? Maybe one of our British friends knows?
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
Oh Eva, for you I would recommend Taylor's White Lilly of the Valley - Veddy Veddy English.

And while I am about it how about some useless information or the etymology of perfume -
from the french parfum, originally from the obselete Italian parfumare meaning "to smoke through".
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
Hmm. I wonder how far I'd have to travel to sample that scent.

Absolutely...tell us more about perfume (parfum)...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:47 pm
Eva, don't you even friggin' think about turning my wooly mammoth thread into a perfume discussion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Wiry Hair of a Wooly Mammoth
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/10/2024 at 06:22:56