Disabled teen kicked out of theater for his loud laughter

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
Movie theater apologizes:
The family of a disabled teen kicked out for his loud laughter is offered a private screening

OLDSMAR - The movie theater that kicked out a disabled 19-year-old man for laughing too loudly during a comedy has apologized and offered to give the teen and his family a private screening.

"I think it comes down to the fact that we wanted to help make the situation right," said Melanie Bell, AMC spokeswoman. "From the bottom of our hearts, we regret that Matt (Brown) and his family had this experience at our theater. We're really committed to making sure that everyone has a good experience and regret that wasn't the case with Matt and his family."

Philip Singleton, president of American Multi-Cinema Inc., called Susan Brown, Matt's mother, Wednesday afternoon to apologize.

"He was gracious and apologetic," she said Thursday. "We just wanted to know that we could go to this theater and enjoy movies and laugh."

Sunday, Mrs. Brown took Matt, who has Angelman's syndrome, and his brother to see the 5:25 p.m. showing of The Pink Panther at the AMC Woodlands 20 theaters.

Angelman's syndrome is a neurological disorder that impairs a person's ability to speak and to maintain balance. The disorder also affects mental development and can prompt excessive laughter and seizures.

About an hour into the showing, a theater manager approached Mrs. Brown and asked her to step outside the theater. Other moviegoers had complained that Matt was laughing too loudly, the manager told her. She protested but was told Matt had to leave.

An outraged Brown did leave, then took her story public and filed a complaint with the American Civil Liberties Union, she said.

Since Monday, local and national news outlets have contacted Mrs. Brown about the family's ordeal.

She has yet to schedule the private screening but said she will ask if she can invite Matt's classmates to the show. The teen attends Paul B. Stephens Exceptional Student Education Center, a school for the disabled, in Clearwater.

"We aren't looking for money," she said. "To us, the bigger picture here is we're one family of many who want happiness."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 567 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mans

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:07 pm
that's so sad! poor guy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 06:16 am
Sure it is sad, but I blame the parents. If their son had a disorder that causes uncontrollable laughter, they KNEW that he would disturb the other patrons. How different is that from taking a baby who tends to be fussy, to the movies? If I were the parents, I would have rented the DVD, and viewed it at home, where the boy would have not disturbed anyone.

I understand what the theatre is attempting to do, but personally, I think that this PC thing is going much too far.

Mrs. Brown wrote:
"We aren't looking for money," she said. "To us, the bigger picture here is we're one family of many who want happiness."

What about the happiness, and enjoyment of the other patrons?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:21 am
I agree with Phoenix. Everyone has rights.

I do admire the theatre for offering a private screening--even if they were bullied into the offer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:49 am
My question is, why didnt the parents ASK about those sorts of things first?
More then likely, the theater would have been understanding if it was TOO expencive , and maybe offered a DAY TIME showing that was known to be empty, or given her a discount on a private showing.

Theaters are more accomidating then most think
And sadly, they dont need to be bullied into it.
>sigh<

( quoted-)
She has yet to schedule the private screening but said she will ask if she can invite Matt's classmates to the show.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
I wonder how loud he was laghing? I'm laghing just thinking about it. What if it was super duper loud and you were the guy was sitting right behind him.

Bad situation. The manager did a good job. The only thing he could do for all parties involved.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:11 am
TIMMY!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:14 am
If they attend the same theater on a regular basis, they will drive out the other patrons for sure.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:37 am
It it were my kid I would except not being able to go to a comedy in public as part of the things we just had to deal with and make watching them at home extra special. Everybody had to go through a bad expireance because of the parents bad judgement. Especially the poor loud laghing kid.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Disabled teen kicked out of theater for his loud laughter
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 01:26:39