Saudi driving ban on women extends to golf carts

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 02:05 pm
Why am I not surprised? Mad

Saudi driving ban on women extends to golf carts

Saudi Arabia's longstanding ban on female drivers went an extra mile this week when women were barred from using golf carts to move around a cultural festival, according to Saudi newspapers.

Men were permitted to use carts during the first 12 days of the Janadriya Heritage and Cultural Festival when only male visitors are allowed to attend, but the carts were withdrawn during the last three days which are reserved for women.

"We suggested to the festival organisers that they use small golf carts for visitors inside the cultural village," Seham al-Dosary, a spokeswoman for the company that supplied the carts, told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper. "The idea was to facilitate the movement of male and female visitors ... we felt that the carts would be particularly useful for the old and the disabled. They are small and easy to use."

Saudi traditionalists object to women driving. Although there is no specific law to forbid it, women cannot obtain driving licences. In remote parts of the kingdom they sometimes drive without licences, and the use of golf carts on private land is another way to circumvent the rules.

Women at some of the kingdom's all-female universities drive around campus in the carts, said Abeer Mishkhas, a Saudi journalist. They also use them at mixed-gender holiday resorts near Jeddah.

"At the resorts maybe some of the religious people would say something, but the mutawwa [religious police] can't do anything because it's private property," she said. "I rode in the back of one once when my niece was driving."

A few years ago King Abdullah - when he was crown prince - tried to stop female doctors and nurses driving golf carts to get around the vast King Abdul Aziz hospital complex in Riyadh, according to Ali al-Ahmed of the pro-reform Gulf Institute.

"He wrote a letter to the director of the hospital. I saw a copy of it. He was absolutely livid," Mr Ahmed said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 12
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:18 pm
And this is the US ally?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:32 am
No, a trading partner.

Did this happen to improve the accident statistics, perhaps?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:00 am
When they're selling us oil they're allies. When they do **** like this they're "trading partners".
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:17 am
Maybe it's because of the burkha thing. It must restrict the field of vision.

Or then again, maybe it's because the men are just a bunch of mysogonist b*stards.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:23 am
Nothing about these sh!theads surprises me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:26 am
I'll drink to that one.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:01 am
dlowan wrote:
I'll drink to that one.

That's illegal there too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:06 am
dlowan wrote:
I'll drink to that one.

This is the post I was replying to, BTW.

Lord Ellpus wrote:
Maybe it's because of the burkha thing. It must restrict the field of vision.

Or then again, maybe it's because the men are just a bunch of mysogonist b*stards.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:11 pm
The Saudis also have the lowest rate of car accidents of any country. Coincidence???
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
Actually, I just checked and I take it back:

Saudi Arabia is notorious for its high rate of car accidents. Largely as a result, second and third party motor vehicle insurance is now compulsory in the Kingdom. There are more than ten million cars registered in Saudi Arabia, and approximately 1.2 million cars enter the Kingdom every year. The Saudi Ministry of Interior prohibits any car entering the borders of Saudi Arabia without insurance coverage. There are currently around 75 car insurance companies in the Kingdom.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:14 pm
What are the accident stats for golf carts?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
No. It's either the elimination of women drivers, or maybe they cut of the right hand of transgressors.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Saudi driving ban on women extends to golf carts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:18:45