Teacher suspended after student not allowed to use restroom

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
Teacher suspended after student not allowed to use restroom

CLEARWATER, Fla. - A teacher who did not allow a student to use the restroom was recommended for suspension after the student urinated in a trash can in a classroom closet, officials said.

Lesley Campbell, 64, violated the school district's policy prohibiting a teacher from "exposing a student to unnecessary embarrassment or disparagement," district officials said.

Clayton Wilcox, superintendent of Pinellas County schools, says Campbell should be suspended without pay for 10 days.

"Certainly the student did some things that were highly inappropriate, but my focus is on the behavior of the employees and then, separately, on the students," Wilcox said.

Campbell said when she told the high school junior in November he could not use the restroom, he suggested urinating in the can.

"Surely, I never thought he would use the trash can," Campbell said. "It was astonishing. By the time he had grabbed the can and headed for the closet, I didn't feel comfortable approaching him."

Campbell, an English teacher who has taught at Clearwater High School for 20 years, has requested a hearing on her recommended suspension.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 12
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
In Clearwater, no less.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
Not allow a student to use a restroom? That sounds like abuse. Unless there is more to the story than meets the eye, this teacher deserves something much harsher than a 10 day suspension.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
There was always some punk kid that wanted to use the restroom right after the bell. Even nearly 20 years ago, the rule was use the potty between clases.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
DrewDad wrote:
There was always some punk kid that wanted to use the restroom right after the bell. Even nearly 20 years ago, the rule was use the potty between clases.

I don't know about you, but there are times that people that need to use the bathroom at very inconvenient times. Unless the kid was a complete screw up, who pulled deals like this all the time, I think that the what the teacher did was totally unwarranted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
Heh.

Once when I was in, oh... the second grade or so, I was waving my arm frantically for permission to go to the restroom.

Mrs. Evil sat at her desk shaking her head no.

I got up and approached her.

Her head shaking became more vigourous.

I vomited all over her desk.

And her.

<snicker>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
boomer- I love it!

You know I have come across a few teachers in my travels who had a bit of sadism in their personalities, and used their power to take it out on the kids.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
boomerang wrote:
Heh.

Once when I was in, oh... the second grade or so, I was waving my arm frantically for permission to go to the restroom.

Mrs. Evil sat at her desk shaking her head no.

I got up and approached her.

Her head shaking became more vigourous.

I vomited all over her desk.

And her.

<snicker>

THAT is fabulous.

I remember this nun that wouldn't let us get a drink of water until a sanctioned water fountain time.

She'd tell us to swallow our spit and offer our suffering up to Jesus.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
Oh she was a sadist alright!!

She completely deserved to be vomited upon.

I was the school hero for days.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:41 am
So, Boom, you didn't tell us how it all ended up. Did you have detention time, or what?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:49 am
Heck no!

They can't give you dentention for being sick.

I got to go home, lay in bed, eat ice cream, hang oout with mom and get congratulated by my older siblings.

Life doesn't get much better than that!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
<2 thumbs up!> Laughing
0 Replies

Dark Waltz

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:04 am
The problem is guys you will have certain children and you tend to know who they are, that always pull a fast one, which means they will ask to go to the loo you say yes they disappear for 15 mins going on a random skive and then the next day do it again,

I have said no then as soon as the task has done told them to go, because again it was the same person who likes to go on a bit of a mooch rather than sit and do a bit of work like the rest of them,

Strike me down Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Teacher suspended after student not allowed to use restroom
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:39:46