Woman faked death to dodge parking fines

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:15 am
Woman faked death to dodge parking fines

An Iowa woman allegedly faked her own death to avoid paying parking tickets.

Police say Kimberly Du, 36, was caught out after she got another ticket a month after her 'death', reports KCCI News.

Investigators said Du, of Des Moines, faked her own obituary and forged a letter telling a judge she had died in a car crash.

She allegedly included a phony obituary, made to look like a page from The Des Moines Register's website.

"The state still has to convince a jury of 12, but faking your own death is not a good idea," said Bob Rigg, of the Drake Law Clinic.

The case began to unravel when investigators said Du was stopped for another traffic ticket - a month after the obituary was dated.

She now faces up to five years in prison for fraud - instead of the $500 fine she might have expected for failing to pay her parking tickets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 341 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm
Why didn't I think of that?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
I guess she probably didn't know that you can make payment arrangements to pay tickets? Well, at least you can here in Louisiana and I would assume you can everywhere else.

So, for a $500.00 dollar fine she commits a crime and faces five years in prison? Let's see, that's a year for each hundred dollars? I'm beginning to think people are not watching shows like Forensic Files, CSI, etc., anymore. Everyone knows if you want to know how NOT to get caught they show yo if you just pay attention!

Thanx for another great story, Reyn.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:30 pm
Some people will do anything to get out of paying a fine, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:34 pm
We're overlooking perhaps the most important thing: dead people also don't have to pay taxes! Not even car taxes!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
Bloody good idea, if you ask me.

We have had a politician try that in the past. John Stonehouse left his clothes on an Australian beach and disappeared. He was eventually tracked down, and went to jail for fraud, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Woman faked death to dodge parking fines
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:20:44