Ohio Couple Tie the Knot at McDonald's

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
Ohio Couple Tie the Knot at McDonald's

FAIRBORN, Ohio (AP) - Do you take this man, and do you want fries with that? A couple decided to get married under the golden arches, as customers continued to place their orders for Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets.

Trisha Lynn Esteppe and Tyree Henderson exchanged their vows on Monday at the McDonald's in Fairborn where they work together and met three years ago.

Esteppe said she couldn't imagine a more romantic spot for their wedding. The couple walked down a white aisle laid on the restaurant's floor and had a traditional ceremony, not far from the counter.

They were married by the Reverend James Hartman, who said his first fast-food wedding was "just wonderful."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 497 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:21 am
Another smudge on the distinguishing line between sacred and profane.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:27 am
Well, if that's where they met, it's special to them I suppose.

Funny you should post this Reyn....my husband and I married each other again just this morning.

Of course there was no minister there....but a minister wasn't marrying us....we were marrying each other.

Now that I think about it, why do so many people say that some priest, judge or minister "married us"...they just officiate a the 2 people's marrying each other.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Tsk, tsk, just not a romantic, eh? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:23 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Funny you should post this Reyn....my husband and I married each other again just this morning.

Of course there was no minister there....but a minister wasn't marrying us....we were marrying each other.

Sort of like an ongoing re-committment to each other?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:34 pm
No, actually it was the first time we'd ever done that.

We didn't even know it was going to happen 30 seconds before.

We just suddenly found ourselves taking our vows with each other, and declaring ourselves married.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Now that I think about it, why do so many people say that some priest, judge or minister "married us"...they just officiate a the 2 people's marrying each other.

A marriage needs to be certified by someone who has the necessary credentials to do so, otherwise it is not recognized by the state (government, whatever). Without such an acknowledgement, a legal marriage has not taken place. In a way, that priest or judge is giving marriage to the couple, enabling that union to take place. And the foundation of that union is the process of marrying. That is to say, marriage is the result of that process. So if you look at marriage as the formation of the union by legally or religiously recognized means, you need at least three people to participate actively in the ceremony: the couple and the officiant. All three need to be involved in the formative process of marrying to create that marriage.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
That's why I said officiating smog....the judge, minister officiates at the wedding...

the 2 people wed each other
they marry each other.

the priest/judge isn't "giving" them anything. They are, for lack of a better term "witnessing" that the marriage is taking place between the two people, thereby being able to give evidence to the world that these 2 people wed.

In texas, we acknowledge common law marriage. No one even offiated in that case...yet, a common law marriage is legally binding.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
I was just meaning to give the etymological roots of the term. "Marrying" was traditionally seen as the act by which a marriage was created, and of course traditionally a judge or priest was essential to create a marriage. And that way of saying it still carries on, to some degree, today. I'm not saying that that's necessarily the most correct way to express it (I don't think it is, in fact), but I'm a sucker for the dictionary.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:35 pm
oh no, it was interesting smog.

it just make sense to me that a person who stands in front of you for 5 minutes could really have anything to do with the rest of your life....they're just a rubber stamper.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:32 pm
Did they consummate the marriage by the fry cooker? That would explain the substance found in my bag of fries the other day.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:43 pm
Did it look like vanilla shake?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
Reyn observed:

Quote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Tsk, tsk, just not a romantic, eh?

I'm an agnostic, but it seems to me that a MacDonald's Ceremony is more important for a Civil Union than an rite so holy it may not be profaned by loving gay and lesbian couples.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 03:04 pm
oh googd point noddy, I hadn't thought of it that way.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:49 am
California does not recognize common law marriage. But we do recognize common law marriage of people from other states. Go figure. We just call it shacking up..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ohio Couple Tie the Knot at McDonald's
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:20:42