Boy sticks gum on museum painting, causes damage

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
Boy sticks gum on museum painting, causes damage

DETROIT - The Detroit Institute of Arts is stuck with having to repair a painting worth $1.5 million. It has to remove a stain left by a wad of gum stuck on the painting by a 12-year-old visitor.

Museum officials say the boy was with a group from Holly Academy in Oakland County when he took the gum out of his mouth and stuck it on Helen Frankenthaler's 1963 abstract painting "The Bay."

The gum didn't stick to the fiber of the canvas, but left a stain the size of a quarter. Museum experts are researching the chemicals in the gum to decide how to clean the painting.

The boy was suspended from school.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 354 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:34 am
This is what is teacher said....

"Even though we give very strict guidelines on proper behavior and we hold students to high standards, he is only 12 and I don't think he understood the ramifications of what he did before it happened, but he certainly understands the severity of it now," said Kildee.

http://www.earthstores.com/LACMAstore/images/po_Frankenthaler270x400.jpg

You know, the very first thing I thought when I read this piece was that 12 year old boys do stupid crap all the time without thinking, because well, 12 year old boys do not think, at least in the way humans understand it.

It was that "he's ONLY 12" that riled me....What? Because he's only 12, would he go into his friends house and stick his gum on his buddy's mom favorite art piece? Well, maybe he would, but the excuse "his ONLY 12" would not have come into play.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
Reyn, interesting choice of avatar, seeing how Rowan Atkinson played Mr. Bean. In Bean's movie, he accidentally destroys "Whistler's Mother" by sneezing on it and trying to clean it with paint remover.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
Chai--

Locally a 12 year old boy deliberately set a fire to inconvenience his 13 year old cousin with whom he'd been squabbling.

He's to be tried as an adult because in PA murder is not a juvenile crime. His lawyer is appealing.

Granted there is a big difference between show-off vandalism and Murder by Arson, but both kids are only twelve.

I think the school spokesperson meant that the kids was 12--not 13 or 16 or 18--"only twelve".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
Equus wrote:
Reyn, interesting choice of avatar, seeing how Rowan Atkinson played Mr. Bean. In Bean's movie, he accidentally destroys "Whistler's Mother" by sneezing on it and trying to clean it with paint remover.

Yup, saw it and loved the movie.

The avatar is from "the Thin Blue Line" where RA plays a cop.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
the kid's lucky he wasn't in Singapore and did that in a public place.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Boy sticks gum on museum painting, causes damage
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:15:15