Half of Britons chat to their motor cars

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:03 pm
Half of Britons chat to their motor cars

LONDON (Reuters) - Nearly half of motorists regularly talk to their cars, giving words of encouragement ahead of a long trip and lavishing praise for a job well done at journey's end, according to research on Monday.

A survey of 2,000 owners also found 40 percent thought their car had a personality and was capable of being upset whilst 19 percent worried about how their car was feeling.

The poll, conducted by organisers of July's British International Motor Show found women rather than men tended to have a close relationship with their car. Giving a pet name to their car but not their human partners was admitted to by 20 percent of women

The survey that revealed fully 47 percent of drivers talked to their cars also looked at how people felt about their cars across the country.

Drivers in the southwest worry most about their car's feelings, with 36 percent admitting concern compared with just 15 percent in the Midlands.

Drivers in the northeast were most likely to attribute a character to their vehicles with 68 percent saying their car had a personality, compared with 28 percent in Wales.

More people chat happily to their cars in the southwest than anywhere else in the country, with 54 percent enjoying a good chat, compared with the more taciturn Scots where 26 percent indulged.

Half of all cars on East Anglian roads rejoiced in a pet name compared with just 31 percent of cars in the southeast.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 417 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:46 pm
Well, Reyn, we called our car tin lizzie:

http://www.chooney.com/car/tin_lizzie.jpg

and about the only talking we did was when she wouldn't crank, and you can probably imagine the words that were said. Razz
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:55 pm
Laughing

I don't know about talking to a car, but I have wonderful conversations with myself all the time!

And I answer, too.... Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:59 pm
As do I, Reyn, cause I miss intelligent conversation.<smile>but you know those Brits, they like one sided conversation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:08 pm
There are peeps that don't talk to their car? weird.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:20 pm
Well, dys, they say the love bug will bite 'ya, but I think this one may be toothless:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/articles/Love%20Bug%207.jpg

I think his name WAS Herbie.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:54 am
My car is Japanese, a Nissan. Thankfully it was built in the UK so it does understand English. It did get all moody the other day tho when I mentioned the movie "Bridge Over The River Kwai" whilst I was shampooing it. Also, I think it has a crush on the Honda that lives across the road.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
some cars are male & some are female. mine is male. my wife & daughter don't drive, so they haven't built a relationship with Mr. Nissan. I call him Blackie cos he's got black paint. His favorite CD is 'Back in Black' by AC/DC
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Half of Britons chat to their motor cars
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:31:39