Flyers production??

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
Hello,

at the moment im setting up my new web business, but ill need a whole lot of flyers when im ready with the new site.

I have been looking alot in google and really searching everything, but I don't seem to catch the right sites for me, so thats why im trying in here, must be someone who have some very good links for cheap and professional flyers production.

Can anyone help me?

Best regards

Jan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,650 • Replies: 4
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
You will save money if you design the fliers yourself and deliver them to your printer on a disk and "camera ready." If you're not the designing type, you can use preformatted templates (available in MS Word, PageMaker, InDesign, etc.) and just fill in the copy (text) you want.

Or, you can hire someone to custom-design fliers for you. Or you can hire someone who already has his own templates which he can adapt to your business.

Now, with printing, cost is directly related to colors and quantity.

If you're printing one color on white stock (paper), cost is the least. If you're printing one color on colored stock, it's a little more. Four-color process printing will cost much more. However, it's less expensive than ever these days, if you find a modern print shop, or a big print shop.

I have a very small print shop that I use for my 4-color work. They are brand-new, and are 100% digital, so 4-color printing is very affordable. In the "old" days (like 5 years ago), one would have to run 10,000+ copies on a web press in order to keep the cost down to what I'm paying now for much smaller runs.

Here's my opinion on printing.

If you need 100 fliers, print them yourself from a desktop publishing software and a laser printer (do not use an inkjet. The cost of ink and time is way too high). A duplexing printer (prints both sides) is a very good thing.

If you need 500, go to Kinko's, Office Depot, etc.

If you need 1,000, you might look into offset printing (that is, using a printing press) at a local print shop. See my comment above regarding digital printing.

If you need 2500 or more, offset printing is almost always worthwhile.

BTW, it is well worth the money to have the printer do the folding/stapling, etc. Or, buy a good folding machine. I bought one made by Dahle and it's well worth the $200 for folding small jobs I print on my laser (I got the laser printer free--email me if you want details since I think I may not be permitted to mention it here since I am a customer of that company). For the big jobs, I pay the printer an extra $25-50 to fold them for me.

Hope this helps you.

BTW, what kind of business are you opening?

General Tsao
0 Replies

bourne666

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Thx
Thank you very much for the fast reply,

I think ill let other people handle this flyer designing and ill probately need around 5000-10000 flyers to begin with. Its a huge amount to beginn with, thats why ill be sure 'i get the right one from the start.

Well maybe you can help us on this, we are starting an very very exclusive website for primary smoking products. We will start our sale with Blunts from True Blunts only. Our site will be build up on very nice flash frequencies, with some smooth music in the background. Everything you order will be taking right to your door by DHL.

The blunt production is huge in the states but only started here in europe now.

We are therefor looking for a flyer in a 5x10cm format with both sides colours. The material have to thick paper and we would like one side with very very smooth and shinning effect.

Is this maybe something you could help us with, ill ofcourse writ a more detailed mail to you or even send you some samples I have been working on.

Let me hear what you say m8.

Best regards

Jan
0 Replies

bourne666

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
BTW
BTW here you have my/our company email. [email protected]
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:04 pm
Perhaps you are better funded than I was/am, but I would never go out the gate with 5,000 of a flier I'd not tested.

What I mean is, an ad that looks good to you or good to the ad agency who designed it, may not be appealing to your customers at all.

I would be more inclined to have several designs printed in short runs of 100-1000 pieces, being sure to code their contents somehow so you can track performance.

Then, with good tracking, you can see which fliers worked and which ones flopped. Choose the best three and print 5,000 of each.

To save money also, you can also print fliers "2-up," or "4-up," or whatever size your print shop can handle.

For instance, let's say I wanted a total of 5,000 fliers, and my testing indicated that flier A and C did best.

I could print 2,500 of each in two separate runs or I could run them "2-up" on a double-size sheet. So I make one press run, but get 2,500 of A, and 2,500 of B.

If you ever do anything with post cards, you can usually get 8, 12 or 16-up. That means you can print an entire year of monthly post cards in one run.

I have found that if you're not doing your own designing, it's easier to get the print shop that will be printing your order to do it. They will know how many "up" they can do, how much bleed and gripper space they need, which software works best with their system, etc.

I have a large printshop nearby who can also do mass mailings for me, so all I have to do is bring them my art, my mailing list on disk, then I never see the job til one lands in my mailbox (always mail pieces to yourself, and a couple friends/family members to verify the mailing is going out in a timely fashion).

That's all for now. Smile

General Tsao
0 Replies