Student In Trouble For Honking Horn At Cops

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:44 am
Student In Trouble For Honking Horn At Cops

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- A college student has been given a lesson from a judge after his day in court -- don't correct the police.

Clay Palmer, a student at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, honked his car horn when he saw police stop their patrol car, turn on blue flashers to go through a red light and then turn the flashers off. He got a ticket for violating the city noise ordinance.

The charge was reduced to a warning Wednesday when he went before a judge who told him he acted wrongly.

"The horn blowing is not the real problem here, it's that you were trying to correct the police and they didn't need correcting," Judge Russell Bean said.

Palmer left traffic court saying he still believed officers were abusing their authority.

"I see this cop with his blue lights come screeching up beside me and I didn't know what was going on," Palmer said. "Before they got to the next light, I could see they turned their blue lights off."

Palmer said officer Matthew Puglise forced him onto the hood of his car and issued him a ticket for honking the horn when there was no reason.

Puglise said he was helping another officer track down a speeder when Palmer saw him pass through the red light.

Bean said Puglise was right and Palmer was wrong.

"I expect officers to follow the rules like everyone else," Bean said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 438 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
I'm in agreement with the police with this one.....you can't know why the police turn their lights on and off. Might be to get though a light, might be because of a call that came in, then was cancelled.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:57 am
Well, they sure didnt have anything pressing to do if they took the trouble of stopping, getting out and taking on this guy for honking at them ...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
Basically, IMO, both the cops and Palmer were wrong. Palmer had no business honking at the cops. The cops should have let the whole thing go, and not pressed the matter.

Sounds like a pissing contest between the student and the cops, and the cops won.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
Once I was in line with dozens of other cars, waiting for a church congregation to empty out on the road. The police were allowing every single car out before letting us go, and there were at least a few hundred of them. You would think he would alternate the access, but, no; that money for moonlighting did all the talking. After nearly ten minutes, I honked at him. Fortunately for me, he didn't figure out who it was and didn't want to stop what he was doing to find out.
I don't normally seek to correct an officer, because, like someone pointed out, we generally don't know their business enough to get involved. This one time, I simply lost my temper.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:24 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, they sure didnt have anything pressing to do if they took the trouble of stopping, getting out and taking on this guy for honking at them ...

my thoughts exactly.

I also know that, when police recieve an " In progress" call, they generally do NOT run the siren and only use lights to get through intersections, stop signs etc.
Just so they dont warn the suspect away from the scene of the crime by allowing them to hear or see them coming.

But, if that were the case, the officer would not have turned around to nab someone who honked.. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Once I was in line with dozens of other cars, waiting for a church congregation to empty out on the road. The police were allowing every single car out before letting us go.....

I guess "right of way" wasn't in his vocabulary?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:28 pm
Right of way was the money the church paid him.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
Maybe he gets free bibles, too?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:48 pm
Well, let's just say, he was loyal.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:52 pm
Maybe he gets a reserved pew and parking at the front door?

Special audience to the Pope, etc....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Student In Trouble For Honking Horn At Cops
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:39:46