"...now take me to where there is luck...now take me"

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:28 pm
One of the most gripping short stories that I have ever read, was "The Rockinghorse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence. For those interested in seeing a synopsis:

http://www.dowse.com/fiction/Lawrence.html

To me, the tale is gruesome, but I read one essay that assessed the entire thing as having a "happy" ending. Shocked

A child gives his life to bring luck to a family?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,183 • Replies: 15
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 08:07 pm
Wow Letty the Rocking Horse Winner was assigned reading when I was in school and boy oh boy did it hit home for me. I loved it and hated it. Another similar and great short story by D.H. Lawrence is the Odour of Chrysanthemums. It is so sad but there is redemption in understanding in the end.

And yes I do believe in a happiness and good luck.

http://www.storybites.com/lawrenceodour.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:14 am
Hey, Joanne.

This short story made me more aware of how impressionable children are. I haven't read "The Odour of Chrysanthemums", but I will search it out. In trying to locate, "The Rockinghorse Winner, " I ran across a sorta cheat sheet analyzing the plot. I was appalled at how terrible the explication was, and it even contained misspelled words. Shocked

My Gawd, do students really go to the web to let some inaccurate third party think for them? YIKES
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 12:14 pm
Letty I too was shocked the first time I came across literary essays for students on line too. I have never really bothered to read them for content.

Woe is the student that gets caught do they think there teachers do not have computer or what?
0 Replies

eohara19

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
essay
Can you tell me where this essay is?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:29 am
eohara, Welcome to A2K. I'm not certain which essay you mean, because this thread is so old.

If you're looking for something about the short story, A Rocking-horse Winner, check it out on google.

I'm not a fan of Cliff notes, my friend. The best thing for you to do is to read the short story and come up with your own conclusions. D.H. Lawrence is one fantastic writer.

Here is a link to the cliff notes, but only for you to examine what others may think:

http://www.freebooknotes.com/book.php3?id=1571
0 Replies

eohara19

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:43 am
Thanks!
Oh, I actually have read the story many times, but unfortunately, my students have not. I'm an English teacher. One of my students used the very line you referred to in her essay, that is why I am online looking for the source. I am very disheartened that a number of girls in my class plagiarized in their essays, and I must spend my Saturday searching for their sources.

Thanks for your help
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
My word. Sorry, teach. That line was from the Rocking-Horse winner. Did I miss something?
0 Replies

eohara19

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:52 pm
Thanks
Thanks, but I don't think the line is from the story itself. Am I missing something?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:56 pm
I just read about this story a week ago or so, but I forgot to try to find it online. So, yet again, a bumped thread has enriched my life greatly. There's so much stuff on this here A2k!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
eohara, Here is the link to Lawrence's short story:

http://www.dowse.com/fiction/Lawrence.html

If you'll scroll down, you'll find the exact quote. The entire short story gives me the creeps, but it does symbolize the feeling of responsibility
that children feel for the seeming "luck" of their parents.

Well, smog. This here site can get it right sometimes, no?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:11 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, smog. This here site can get it right sometimes, no?

In pretty much everything except politics, and even then it's not that bad. :wink:
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:32 pm
And it was a great story...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:08 pm
Well, smog. Between the sublimation and the aggravation, DH seems rather tame, but even he had his moments in Arabia.

Incidentally, I looked at the poem in your profile. It was intriguing. Why don't you post something to the original writing forum?

Hey, eohara. Hope you didn't fail any of your students for plagiarizing. <smile>
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:30 pm
Letty wrote:
Incidentally, I looked at the poem in your profile. It was intriguing. Why don't you post something to the original writing forum?

Not mine! It's by the musician Smog (Bill Callahan) who, sadly enough, I am not, although I did steal his performance name for my online handle. I have posted one poem in Original Writing, though, and one in that thread where everyone thought that Gus was gone or something. And then, I posted lots of short little thing in the Game that Nobody Understands Game. So yeah, my stuff is hidden throughout this site, but those lyrics in my profile are not mine.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:50 pm
Smog, I once told someone that when you send words that are not yours, they become ours. I'm certain that Bill Callahan will not object.

The child that rocked his horse away,
Is present in our world today.

How sad he can not compensate,
For all that parents may call fate.

What is luck, and what is chance,
Is often careful happenstance.

The plans were origins mapped in blue,
And quietly, cautiously carried through.
0 Replies