IM LEAVING... I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

Montana

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 03:16 pm
Have fun and don't forget to pack up some UB-40. Good Fishin tunes :-D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:17 am
very short trip Sat to Wednesday. Weve got everything "buttoned up" for winter blows and everythings gonna be on autopilot for about 5 or 6 months. Theyve altready got snows at 1500 m so winters a cold breath away.

Ran into some early skiers at a small cafe in (_____). Seems the new fashion is those faggy looking warm up suits. I hated them the last time around.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:21 am
Have a good time, FM. Stay safe, and always use an apopleptic, or condom as they are now known.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:28 am
Actuaqlly LE, Im back. I left last Sat AM and returned last night. We dont screw around visiting "tourist traps" we get our work done and leave, no time for diddling guinea pigs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:31 am
You're back, farmerman! Hooray! (You seem to have been missing for ages!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:48 am
5 days aint really an "age" , its more like a smidge.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:51 am
But a seem to remember a thread ages ago, when you were heading off for a holiday ...?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:45 pm
Farmerman--

Welcome back. How is your arm?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:30 pm
Its a bit sore at the surgery spot but overall, its doing real fine. Im from strong peasant stock. We seem to heal quickly.Each day, I get a bit more feeling back in my left arm.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:43 pm
Farmerman--

Your sort of peasant stock overthrew the aristocracy. Would that they had supplanted the aristocracy.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:46 pm
Cripes! It's hardly worth the cuff-tugging goodbyes if you're only going to stay away as long as we can hold our breath.

Joe(I wasn't even blue yet)Nation
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:21 pm
Welcome back :-D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:25 pm
Unfortunately Noddy, my ancestors were from the Carpathians and into Georgia and Ukraine. Weve had a sorry history full of tales of starvation and wolves and the Tsars Army shooting people over sausages and chochkies.

Joe, all you people that go away on extended vacations fill me with envy. I cant even get away for a decent vacation to MAine . These business trips to ARgentina may as well be to Buffalo or Cleveland for the time I have to see things. But, you will read about this in the next half year or so.
Ill be going down for a really extended exploration "campaign" in the late Fall (our Fall, their spring). I hope the govt turmoil doesnt get mean , I hope the Argentinians can see that most of us dont respect Bush as a president and that what makes our civilization so precious is that we can put up with this a*hole without starting a coup-de-tat. We have a Constitutional process that smothers any cults of personality. So, all other things being equal, Im glad we dont have a shaky form of government like Argentina .

ANYWAY, when your out in the foothills recording self storing seismic data and sorting through drill core, you really would rather be somewhere else doing that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:36 pm
Maybe if you want to visit this exotic terrane (in the geologic sense), gather up your gear and plan a trip to the ALTIPLANO OF THE ANDES

Where llamas roam free and guanacos and the rare and endangered vicun'a. Not to mention the rare pink rattle snake and the pissed off Andean puma{Puma concolor-piersonii}. (one of our "juggies" lost a small pet dog which became a dim-sum.) Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes :note-I hadda look up the generic name for the Argentine puma in Wikipedia . Seems they dont yet have an article on this critter. MAybe I can get my staff member to write a brief article on the cats they saw.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:11 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Cripes! It's hardly worth the cuff-tugging goodbyes if you're only going to stay away as long as we can hold our breath.

Joe(I wasn't even blue yet)Nation

Funny you should say that, Joe.

I was wondering if he really actually left! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:19 pm
me too, I am definately gettin too old for short hop business trips to foreign soils.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:33 pm
I was standing on a ridge in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the Altiplano several years ago, this was in Bolivia, trying to drink in the experience of aloneness. Except that about 100 meeters behind me was an AT&T cell phone tower. It really ruined the atmosphere.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 04:49 am
looting the dead again unk?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:31 am
Shoot. There are places in West Texas that look just like that Puma/Pumo place and if you want you can hike up through the caliche mounds and fire ant hills and stand for awhile in perfect silence. Ain't a bug or a bird for miles.

I was on a century ride a few years ago just south of Wichita Falls, a rider and I stopped to have a sip or two of water (It was 115 and rising).
"Listen," I said, "there nothing, there's no sound here." There wasn't even a breeze blowing. No cicadas, no birdsong, no crack and rattle of a rabbit in the brush. Only we two were dumb enough to be riding a hundred miles in this heat. "This is too weird." she said and she rang the little bell on her bike just to hear something.

You'll have more to worry about from the Argentinians if we meet up with them in the World Cup and win. Try explaining that.

Joe(It was a lucky shot)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:51 am
When asked, years ago,
"Why do you go trotting around all over the map to do geology"?

"Cause thats where the action is"

If I were interested in boring sedimentary layer after layer of dead seafood and seas going in an out, I d go to the Delaware Mountains of West Texas and look like Joe Leaphorn watching erosion on the hoof.

If I wanna see some rock crushing dynamics from land and ocean plates getting smashed together and pushed around and jammed underneath the ice covered rug of an entire continent, then Id have to consider South America as a place to learn some neat ****.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:39:53