Son's eBay effort to give his mother a big send off

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:27 pm
Son's eBay effort to give his mother a big send off

MARGARET Beaton loved to travel, but never made it to some of the countries she really wanted to visit.

But now, two years after her death, her son is trying to fulfil her wish of making it around the world - via eBay.

Glen Beaton used the internet auction site to try and send out small amounts of his mother's ashes to be scattered in different parts of the globe, particularly the United States, Australia and New Zealand.

Mr Beaton, 45, a part-time pet shop worker in Inverness, will not profit from the venture. He has to list the items for at least 1p to meet auction rules, but will pay all postage and packing to those who agree to help him.

He said: "I put a label on the sachets with my mother's name and the years of her birth and death. I'm not charging for the ashes. If anyone puts in bids to raise them above the 1p starting price, I will remove the listing and re-list it.

"I'm fulfilling a wish; it's just that I'm using new technology to do it."

Last night, eBay withdrew the listing, saying it contravened its policy, but not before some of ashes had been sent off to the US, Canada and Australia.

Following her death, most of Mrs Beaton's ashes were scattered in Inverness, but the remainder were kept in an urn.

Mrs Beaton, a widow, died in March 2004, aged 72.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 465 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:38 pm
reyn : reminds me of the song
...come fly away, come fly away with me...

visited an old friend of ours whose husband passed away recently, she keeps his ashes in a beautiful chinese vase that they purchased together and keeps it in a bookcase in the livingroom. she told us that it gives her great comfort - and we can certainly understand her. hbg
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:40 pm
Kids are sooooooooooooooo awesome, aren't they?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:53 pm
My brother-in-law told me that after his father died last September and was cremated, his mother had a hard time figuring out what to do with the Christmas cards she'd already had printed. So she took a picture of herself all dressed up in her holiday best, smiling as she stood in front of the fireplace (an annual tradition), holding the box of her husband's ashes...and inserted it into the card which read, "Merry Christmas from The Elliotts."

My brother-in-law's entire family has the same strange sense of humor. They all thought it was a hoot!!! (I did, too. It must be catching.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
eva : i can only applaud the woman's truly good humour. it showed that even though her husband was no longer bodily present, he was still with her. thanks for sharing ! hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
I think this story is a wonderful idea. It's the thought that counts. I hope folks help out.

I like the idea of the Christmas card, too!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
Why did ebay have a problem with it? I guess I am not understanding that.

I think it's an awesome statement of a child's love for his mother. I would imagine that we all can only hope that one person in our life will have loved us enough to think of something this wonderful in our memory. I bet his mom would be the proudest mother in the world right about now, don't you think?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Son's eBay effort to give his mother a big send off
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:19:42