Tiger poo, the new black gold

Reyn

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:15 pm
Tiger poo, the new black gold

CANBERRA, Australia (Reuters) -- A tiger's roar might be scary, but Australian researchers have found that the predator's poo is just as potent.

Researchers at the University of Queensland said on Friday they had successfully trailed a tiger poo repellant, warding off wild goats for at least three days.

"Goats wouldn't have seen a tiger from an evolutionary point of view for at least 15 generations but they recognize the smell of the predator," repellent creator Peter Murray said in a statement.

"If we can show this lasts weeks ... we've just tapped into probably a billion-dollar market. It's enormous," he said.

Murray said the repellant, made of fatty acids and sulphuric compounds extracted from tiger excrement, also worked on feral pigs, kangaroos and rabbits and might deter deer, horses and cattle too.

In an average year pest animals cause about A$420 million (U.S. $311 million) worth of agricultural damage in Australia the government has said.

Others put the cost in the billions, mostly from European imports such as rabbits, foxes and crop-choking weeds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 494 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
reyn :
will that be your 'retirement' job, leading a tiger around on a leash to 'drop something' here and there ?
should be just up your alley since you are a cat person, right ?
pls send pix ! good luck ! hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:09 pm
You're right. I am a "cat person", but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a cat the size of a very large dog.

Here's me giving it a try though:

http://www.superleash.com/MarkandTigerSara.gif
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:21 pm
ALways wear your good luck ham when your with a tiger
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:30 pm
btw , the toronto zoo is making a little extra money these days selling 'zoo-poo' . local gardeners are quite enthused about the extra 'nourishment' their plants are getting. hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:45 am
Several zoos in the States are selling garden sculptures molded from exotic animal droppings. The idea is that the little critters will disolve slowly, enriching the soil while announcing ecological responsibility--and raising money for the zoos.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:55 pm
'garden sculptures' - is that what they are calling turds these days ? pretty fancy ! hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
Hamburger--

I received a Zoo-Doo frog as a gift. The raw material had been molded.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:18 pm
noddy : enjoy the gift ! are you keeping it on the nightstand Smile ? hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:49 pm
Hamburger--

The critter lasted for three years in the garden, offering practical support to a large clump of snowdrops. The dung has vanished--the snowdrops are flourishing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tiger poo, the new black gold
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:39:19