Scientists try speed-dating to discover secret of love

Reyn

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:37 pm
Scientists try speed-dating to discover secret of love

SCIENTISTS are to investigate how people can find their perfect partners - by observing speed dating.

A top psychologist is planning to carry out the world's first mass experiment on the science of speed dating

Organisers of the 2006 Edinburgh International Science Festival programme are looking for 200 volunteers to take part in the experiment in April to discover the truth about the psychology of compatibility.

Under the eye of Professor Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire, participants will complete a personality test, take part in a series of five-minute meetings with potential suitors, and then rate the degree to which they liked the people they were introduced to.

The data will reveal whether people with different personalities get on best, or whether similarity is the secret of success.

Prof Wiseman said: "People often believe that they are good at predicting what types of people will get on with one another.

"It will be interesting to find out whether or not they are correct."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 298 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:24 am
My word, Reyn. Things must be rather slow in the psych field when speed dating becomes a study for compatability. It will be interesting to find out what the results will be when we read it in Psychology Today.

Like your avatar, buddy. Do you play chess?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:40 am
I have gratefully, never been involved in a speed dating experience. It seems to me though, that the only thing that that sort of exercise would accomplish would be to rule OUT the people whom you believed were unsuitable.

From what I understand of it, the only thing that speed dating might do is to indicate whether there is any "chemistry" between two people.
Once a person did that, I think that he would have to know a person for a lot longer than five minutes, to make any decision as to whether he wanted to continue the relationship.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
Letty wrote:
Like your avatar, buddy. Do you play chess?

Hi, Letty. Yes, I do. I've become very active again on my usual site since January. I also volunteer on activities to help out the site owner, as well as being a subscriber.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Scientists try speed-dating to discover secret of love
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:27:27