Growing Tulips in India

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:51 am
Hey... I am trying in my apartment's flower bed ... My friend got me these 2 tulip seeds. I have sown them. Will I succeed?

Anyways Its winter here. So decently cold these days.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 16,085 • Replies: 17
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:22 am
Did you sow them secretly!?

I hope they grow. I love tulips; they're my favorite flower. They're making an early appearance here this year.

Nothing gets my spring fever going like seeing tulip sprouts!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:23 am
Are you sure they're tulips? Tulips grow from bulbs. If you use the right fertilizer and water them regularly they should thrive. Just be careful of that hot Indian sun. Also, you should freeze them before planting. Tulips require a cold period.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:53 am
Hey Nick you have actually tensed me up.

Can I keep them in cold shadows (with sufficient sunlight). What fertilizers should I use?

India gets very hot from Mid March & for 3 months further till Mid June. Sad

I would love if they flourish.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:07 pm
Check out this site Vin http://www.backyardgardener.com/plants/tulip.html
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:55 am
NickFun wrote:

I love You! Smile

Thx :wink:
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
Instructions to create excellent tulips from Holland
Instructions to create excellent tulips from Holland

Cultivate the soil to a depth of 10 inches. Type of soil: Sand: Add some compost. Type of soil: heavy clayey soil: Add some sand to improve the drainage

Keep the earth of the tulips moist but not to wet. Keep the tulips out direct sunlight on a preserved place.

After the tulip has been a flower for the first time, keep the bulbs in the earth. They will return every year more lushly.

Plant depth 3 - 4 inches
Plant distance 3 - 5 inches
Height of tulips above ground: 6 inches
Plant season: September until February
Bloom period: April, may
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:37 am
Wouldn't it be easier to relocate to Holland?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:43 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to relocate to Holland?

Ok, thats the last step i forgot. Razz
0 Replies

soumendu

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:59 pm
@vinsan,
Just tell me how to get the Tulup Bulbs in INDIA.
McTag

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:15 pm
@soumendu,

You could get them by post from Holland, I bet.

Google "Dutch Bulbs" or "Tulip Bulbs by Post" and see what comes up.

It's getting a bit late to plant them now, but there's still time for a nice show of flowers next spring. I planted some, with success, in December.
kaarthiik

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 10:07 pm
@McTag,
You can get them from Srinagar, A merchant royaltreasure is selling them, very good seller, I jst recieved 30 bulbs. Very nice and decent packing
0 Replies

elizabethh35

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 04:02 am
@vinsan,
The best seasons to start planting tulip bulbs is in early fall for cold winter regions and late fall to early winter for regions that have mild temperature. Make sure you have the bulbs at least some five to six weeks prior to actual planting. You need to select a location in your garden where there is plenty of sun light and apt drainage. Dig in 2 inches of compost before you start planting the bulbs. Mix some rock phosphate at the bottom of the hole and blend it roughly with the soil. Try not to use fertilizers that may comprise of fish bone since it attracts squirrels or rats that may nibble the bulb and damage it.
0 Replies

MChad

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 11:46 am
Guys, I'm currently in Amsterdam and planning to take Tulip bulbs to India. Cans any one suggest the best time and method to plant then in India to get the best yield.
0 Replies

TatiLie

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 02:19 pm
@vinsan,
Have you succeeded? I'm going to Vijayawada in April and a friend of mine love yellow tulips. She is very ill and I hope some bulbs will cheer her up (I'm travelling from Ireland, so I don't think a bunch of flowers will survive the trip). I'm looking forward hearing your answer.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 02:31 pm
@TatiLie,
I wish she would answer - if you look at the date, she last posted in 2006. She was a liked poster here.

Welcome to a2k anyway, TatiLie.
TatiLie

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Ossobuco.
I read somewhere people in Mumbai and Delhi has success, so I will give it a shot.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 04:42 pm
@TatiLie,
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Tulips-grow-in-Bangalore-garden/articleshow/4013617.cms

http://www.ecotulips.com/How-to-grow-tulips-in-warm-climates.html

If grown in containers, you will have better success. Tulips need a period of cold weather during dormancy and they don't like to sit in wet soil. You need good drainage. Here's a video that shows how to do them in containers.

0 Replies