Environmental Disaster Party - call for ideas!

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
Thanks to Boomer, who was making a birthday cake with a marzipan garden the idea of an environmental disaster cake (with dark chocolate glazing, and a marzipan oil pipeline with spills and fires along the way) was born.
Me and littlek took it one step further and are planning a whole theme party. We'll have the cake, melting glaciers candle holders, wildfire salsa, plastic toy SUVs and Hummers scattered about. But.... we need more. Food, decorations, anything that qualifies for an environmental disaster. We haven't set a date yet, but when it happens, everybody's invited.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,461 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
Roast duck covered in a dark cherry sauce to symbolize oil spills in an artic refuge.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
don't forget the "you're doing a great job" brownies.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:33 am
An impacting comet comes to mind.

I have no idea how to decorate that, though. Perhaps hanging from the ceiling?

Solar flare.

Ice Age.

Collision with a large mass of antimatter.

Nuclear blasts. (You know, Atomic Fireballs?)

Hurricanes. (The drink)

Killer bees

Fire ants

Deforestation

Volcanoes

Dogs and cats living together
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
Deserts (or desserts) from over-grazing....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Now, THAT's a CLASSIC!!! <APPLAUSE>

May I suggest you use bright yellow plastic cups with the biohazard symbol on them?

http://www.cr.usgs.gov/graphics/biohazard_sign01.gif
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
oh brilliant! brownies and hurricanes! so simple! yellow plastic cups, also brilliant!
and a roasted duck...i love duck! hurrah!
i have to start a running list. I'm afraid we'll go bonkers - we usually do go all out for a party, especially in the kitchen.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
... what goes into hurricanes? any other environmental disaster drinks we can make?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:13 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
Shocked Holy cow! i think if we'll just serve these, environmental disaster will come naturally later.
(or if we invite slappy)...

Hurricane recipe

1 oz vodka
1/4 oz grenadine syrup
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice

Pour all but the juices, in order listed, into a hurricane glass three-quarters filled with ice. Fill with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice, and serve.

Serve in: Hurricane Glass
Hurricane #2 recipe

1 oz vodka
1 oz gin
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz 151 proof rum
1 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1 oz triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice
grenadine syrup

Pour gin, rums, amaretto, and triple sec into a hurricane glass with ice. Add equal amounts of grapefruit juice and pineapple juice until almost full. Top with grenadine to taste.

Hurricane Leah recipe

1/4 oz light rum
1/4 oz gin
1/4 oz vodka
1/4 oz tequila
1/4 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1 dash cherry brandy
3 oz sweet and sour mix
3 oz orange juice

Pour over ice into a hurricane glass, and stir. Garnish with an orange peel.

6% (12 proof)
Hurricane, New Orleans Style r...

1 oz white rum
1 oz Jamaican dark rum
1 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
3 oz orange juice
3 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 oz grenadine syrup
crushed ice

Combine all ingredients, mix well (shake or stir). Pour over crushed ice in hurricane glass. Best enjoyed through a small straw. Garnish with fruit wedge if desired.

16% (32 proof)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:08 pm
Would it be too complicated if you turned off all the lights ("no power") and handed out flashlights to everyone?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
ha. not at all. we have some flashlights! and candles.

kris (littlek) came up with a great idea for candleholders - one tupperware put into another, pour wather inbetween and weigh the smaller one down a little, so that it sinks down, but not all the way - and stick in a freezer. take out, get ice out of tupperware and put candles inside. hurrah.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:15 pm
i'm also thinking of some nuclear mushroom clouds. or, well, just nuclear mushrooms. they have to be big enough - so probably portabellas. just baked lightly with some dressing and sprinkles of blue cheese on top. easy and sooooo goood.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:15 pm
You could have an Exxon Valdez room, cover the walls, floor, and ceiling with plastic drop cloths and squeeze about 30 containers of hershey chocolate all over the place.

Let people go in and get 'lubed'.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:30 pm
oooh, speaking of which, we're gonna need some some plastic suits and masks or whatnot...

mmmm, this could potentially be expensive.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:36 pm
dag wrote:
i'm also thinking of some nuclear mushroom clouds. or, well, just nuclear mushrooms. they have to be big enough - so probably portabellas. just baked lightly with some dressing and sprinkles of blue cheese on top. easy and sooooo goood

That is a damn good idea and has tremendous potential.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:00 pm
Yeah. You just need some cooling towers for a table display...ala Three Mile Island, y'know...

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040325/040326_threemile_hmed_9a.h2.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:45 pm
or Jaslovské Bohunice in Slovakia:
http://www.slovakradio.sk/rsi/spa/economia/images/050202_jaslboh02.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:15 pm
That's the idea!

Now...for costumes.

How about this one? I think it'd be perfect for littlek. She could even bring Bootsie.

http://www.bdayparties.com/images/adult-dorothy.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:35 pm
Those nuclear cooling towers look like dip bowls to me! We could litter the cooling tower area with glow-sticks (spent fuel rods?). We can buy dry ice down the street for the 'cooling' effect.

I was trying to figure out how to work in a dust bowl. Slash-and-burn agriculture. We could do a logging plate with asparagus maybe.

I've already forgoten the other things we talked about tonight which haven't yet made it to these pages. We've discussed styrofoam food trays,
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Environmental Disaster Party - call for ideas!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 03:12:03