Can I get over 2 wives in India?

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:31 am
raymond chan wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Where did you get that from? I've been to Thailand four times and am engaged to a Thai girl. I've never heard of a polygamy policy in that country.

The local guide told me that!

I "Googled" Thailand/polygamy. I could only find one reference..................and I don't know much about the organization that is reporting it.

http://www.worldcongress.org/wcf1_spkrs/wcf1_tadad.htm

Quote:
In Thailand, polygamy, promiscuity, and prostitution remain among the most serious problems of the family. Despite, or probably because of, the vaunted success of the government's condom distribution program, the rise of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases is unabated.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:39 am
Addenda - Did some more looking. Apparently, polygamy is alive and well despite the fact that it was banned in the 1930's.

http://www.polygamyinfo.com/intnalmedia%20plyg%2084rutrz.htm

http://www.hangoverguide.com/over/factbook/th_sexindustry.html

Quote:
In Thailand a web of cultural, historical and economic factors has served to make the sex industry a booming sector of capitalist growth. For centuries, brothels, and the practice of concubinage have existed in Thailand, but over the past few decades the sex industry has expanded rapidly and has become an integral part of the Thai economy and society.

Cultural Factors
Although lax government policies and regulation of the sex industry are important factors, the roots of Thai societys social acceptance of prostitution go further back into history. The principal strain of Thai Buddhism( Theravada Buddhism) is a hybrid of the original Indian Buddhism and has been a powerfull force in Thailand for over 700 Jears. Buddhist values and beliefs continue to influence the attitudes and values of most Thais, as over 90 per cent Thailands population is Buddhist. The traditional emphasis on polygamy in Theravade Buddhist society is said to have fostered the widespread practice of commercial sex work in Thailand today. Polygamy was outlawed 1n 1935 but ist still practised today - formally through men having more than one wife and informally through visting CSWs ( Commercial Sex Workers). Thailands current economic development model has also served to institutionalize sex as a commodity and womens bodies as easily obtainable objects of consumption. The sex industry can, in fact, be viewed as an variant of polygamy, as both ptovide men access to the sexual services of more than one woman
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:55 am
From reading that, I take it that registered marriages to more than one person are outlawed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:40 am
Wilso wrote:
From reading that, I take it that registered marriages to more than one person are outlawed.

Apparently so, but it looks like that law does not interfere with the behavior of some people.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
That's something I can comment on. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. And it's a law that is universally ignored by the prostitutes, the clients and the police. The one thing they enforce is the closing of the bars at 2am.

What they do try to stamp out is the paedophilia problems, and in this they're finally being helped by the fact that countries like ours are prosecuting the offenders at home for acts committed outside the country. On my last trip I was sitting with Nee at the airport at Udon Thani and two western men, in their fifties entered the terminal with two young Thai boys. One was about 15 and the other looked about 19 (I'm not sure about the age of consent there). I whispered to her "Darling, see those two farang men", and she replied "I know darling. I think same same you".
It was so obvious.
0 Replies

tallandsmart

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:07 pm
under indian law a muslim man can have up to four wives.

hindus are not legally allowed more than one wife, but in fact there are more polygamous hindus than muslims in india, in large part because there are about 1 muslim in india for every 10 hindus.

but thailand is so much nicer than india, and thai people are so much friendlier than indians, and although polygamy is illegal in thailand since 1935, it is still very widely practiced. and in thailand a non-muslim can have as many wives as he can find girls who will marry him. i read a news story about a man who has seven wives.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 02:52 pm
raymond chan wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Where did you get that from? I've been to Thailand four times and am engaged to a Thai girl. I've never heard of a polygamy policy in that country.

The local guide told me that!

Sure. And weddings are prerformed by motel clerks. Valid till check out time.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 06:49 pm
"Has India set up such a policy that allow man marry over two wives?"

Are you not living in China?
How about using your influence to charm some bewitching, tantalizing women of your birth place please?
Why the hell you wish to pick up the banal banana damsels from Darjiling or Tajmahal?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:58 pm
Why the hell would anyone want more than one wife anyway?
0 Replies

tallandsmart

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 06:45 am
Thai polygyny
prostitution and promiscuity, although also rampant in Thailand, can be separated from the question of Thai polygyny.

one could have three Thai wives and not be a punter, one could have 3 Thai wives and be faithful to them, one can have 3 wives and try one's best to be a good husband, and one could have 3 Thai wives and not be a pig.
0 Replies

shin

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:04 pm
Istahir wrote:
I am from India,

By LAW, a Muslim Man can marry 2 wives, however it is frowned upon,

In the States of SOuth India, Many Husbands have more than two wives but take care so that the two wives dont meet Smile

i wonder if you have ever thought about the validity of your opinion
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:58 pm
I was born in India but a decent humanbeing unlike those indians who project their views.
Most of the the indians are rich ( unlike me) and well qualified)
But they are different.
0 Replies

Arulwilliam

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:48 am
@brahmin,
More Hindus than Muslims have two wives - Times Of India

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-04-10/special-report/28118918_1_ayesha-shoaib-divorce
0 Replies