The Stones have still got it!!

eoe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:59 pm
How much do you think they raked in tonight?

30 second spots were going for $2.25 mil.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 01:31 am
I didn't see them, but will no doubt see it on the news today. What was the song that they played from the new album. Sweet Neo Con, perchance?

I wouldn't have thought so. Still, it would have caused more of a stir than Janet Jackson's tit, methinks.

You're right about Keith and his awful singing voice, by the way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:55 am
I love the Stones, but I thought they sounded like a warped record last night.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:02 am
No one sounds good in those stadiums, tho.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:47 pm
By the way, Stevie Wonder was actually good in the pre-game Motown thing they had. He did Living for the City, which is a great, great, GREAT song, as you all know...those of you who don't know, go steal the song off Limewire or some **** and turn it up real loud. You'll thank me later.

But he just looked sort of tired too. As did Arethra Franklin, who looked like she must have spent the past few years eating chocolate-covered lard and pancake batter. Holy crap she was huge.

Martha Reeves sounded good too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:15 pm
Caught the tail end of Stevie's set. He's put on a few pounds, hasn't he? (but then again, haven't we all? Rolling Eyes )
But Aretha is out of hand and has been for a long, long time. I remember about 25 years ago she lost a ton of weight and the fear was that her voice would change. It didn't and for a brief second, Aretha was svelte. But only for a brief second.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:19 pm
They sucked. Were they all playing the same song? Reminded me of a Dead show or something.

Nuge coulda gone up there and farted into the MIC and sounded better.

The NFL blew that halftime show just like the refs blew the game. Pathetic.

Almost forgot, they had to secure Aaron Neville to the stage to prevent him from going into orbit around Aretha.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:22 pm
I consider the Stones to be nothing less than 1/3rd of Rock 'N Roll's Holy Trinity of Dylan, the Beatles and the Stones. However, I also agree with those who say they don't have what they used to have. I admire them for still rollin' along & they've still managed to squeeze a few randomly good tunes here and there over the past 20 years or so, but their glory grand slam days of "Beggars Banquet", "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile on Main Street" are long, long gone.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
I'm still trying to figure out what "it" is. Perhaps their own livers?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
"It" is the fact that they can still play huge-scale venues at the age of sixty something.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what "it" is. Perhaps their own livers?

A sense of humor and incredible agility, nimble fingers and pretty impressive pipes given their respective ages.

Anyone who's produced the music they've produced over the years deserves respect.

Didn't see the halftime show - but I bought their new album - some of it's pretty good I think - and still funny as ever in spots- worth the ten pounds I thought.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:01 pm
Saw Nugent at the Fillmore back in August. At 58, he looks decades younger than the Stones, and can still blow down your house.

Keith Richards wasn't even playing the right song for the entire set.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:16 pm
Give Keith a break - he's lucky to be alive- much less playing halftime at the super bowl.

I'm sorry - I can't even begin to compare Ted Nugent to the stones. I didn't even like him before I was aware of his politics but now....forget it. By the way - what has he ever done aside from Catscratch Fever?

With the stones you get:
Satisfaction
Brown Sugar
Tumblin Dice
Dead Flowers
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Mother's Little Helper
Miss You
Beast of Burden
Angie
It's Only Rock and Roll
Street Fightin Man
Let It Bleed...and that's only a partial list - all great-
all classics, I could go on and on - you can't deny they wrote some incredible songs...
So they're getting old? Aren't we all?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:17 am
You should go on Ted's reality show.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:19 pm
That sounds like it could be interesting. Who do I call? Or maybe you could set it up for me...

*Just joking with you - if he's some kind of hero to you or something - I meant no offense. He's just not my cup of tea- that's all.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Hey, I love the Stones - just not in person any longer.

If you'd really like to be a contestant on "Wanted: Ted or Alive", you can find more info here:

http://www.olntv.com
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:18 am
Laughing Laughing Yeah, no, that was just me being a smart ass- although I wouldn't mind talking to him sometime - it really would be interesting to see where he's coming from and if he's really as scary as he's depicted as being.

I'm almost always disappointed when I see live acts in stadiums. Most of the time I leave feeling that I should have just stayed home and listened to the record. I love live music in smaller venues, clubs or such where you feel like you're getting a sense of the performer as a person though. Unfortunately, few of the big names ever play those kind of places anymore.
B.B. King is a great live performer- Joe Cocker is really good - but as far as going to see people in stadiums - I've pretty much decided to just keep my money and my good memories.
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 04:23 pm
Whatever it is the stones have, I hopen it's not contagious! I didn't watch their halftime show, as a matter of fact, I didn't watch the game either. I never did care for the stones, except for a few songs. Most people who covered their music: Johnny Winter, Grand funk Railroad and others, did a much better job then the stones did. I just don't understand how they got selected as the number one rock group of all time. So many far better groups to choose from. Need I mention that I grew up listening to all this stuff.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
So, you feel that Johnny Winter and Grand Funk were or had more juice than the Stones?
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:19 am
imnidiot wrote:
Whatever it is the stones have, I hopen it's not contagious! I didn't watch their halftime show, as a matter of fact, I didn't watch the game either. I never did care for the stones, except for a few songs. Most people who covered their music: Johnny Winter, Grand funk Railroad and others, did a much better job then the stones did. I just don't understand how they got selected as the number one rock group of all time. So many far better groups to choose from. Need I mention that I grew up listening to all this stuff.

Man! I sure hope it's contagious!! They've gotta be multi-millionares! I would play crappy music for that!

But, anyway, who said the Stones were "the number one rock group of all time"? They were great, but I sure don't think they were. There is no number one rock group of all time, it just depends who you like. I think Floyd and Zeppelin are probably on the top of my list, but that's just me. But there's no denying that the Stones were good, or at least that they have influenced nearly everyone in the rock-n-roll genre.
0 Replies