OUTLOOK EXPRESS PROBLEM

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:08 pm
about a month ago i installed a new computer and also switched over from dial-up service to DSL.
the DSL connections to a2k and website look-ups work great.

here is my problem :
after a few days i could no longer use outlook express to send or receive messages(it worked briefly and quit).
the DSL provider (3web.com) provides its own but somewhat limited internet service which has continued to work.
i just went through the process of bringing up outlook express again, following all the steps carefully. the installation process completes and tells me that i'm ready for action.

when i try to send a message via outlook express, a window with the message :

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.3web.com', Server: '3web.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

the computer people have assured me it has nothing to do with the computer but with the provider (the server).

before phoning the service provider, i thought i'll ask around to find out if anyone has had a similar problem ... and perhaps a solution.

i find trying to fix a problem over the telephone is not an easy task . i have enough trouble with the phone or the computer ... put them together and i'm a basket-case.

if anyone can give me some pointers i'd much appreciate it . hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,453 • Replies: 16
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:42 pm
Could be either or both your firewall and/or antivirus are preventing OE from connectimg - assuming your login info is correct.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:09 pm
timber : thanks !
i have the full mcafee(virusscan, firewall, privacy and antispam) installed and i remember that on the old computer it just didn't work.
i'll take out the antispam and see if it'll make any difference and take it from there.
thanks again ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:15 pm
i deleted the complete mcafee virus program but it didn't make any difference. outlook express still refuses to co-operate . hbg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:18 pm
it may also be the port connection
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:20 pm
husker wrote : "it may also be the port connection "

is that a software or hardware problem ? couldn't find an answer in the HELP site. hbg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:22 pm
it's a setting in outlook express - sometimes ISP's change which ports, I have to look at the other computer later for you
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:28 pm
thanks, husker !
i had to reset the outlook express for DSL , system told me i had completed installation., but who knows ? hbg
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:55 pm
what does your show ?
mine is:
accounts
pick your email
properties
advanced
outgoing (SMTP) 25
incoming mail (Pop3) 995
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:57 pm
CAUSE
The client connects to a port that is blocked or unavailable on the mail server. If the client is trying to send a message, the blocked port is 25, and if the client is trying to retrieve a message, the blocked port is 110. Refer to the error message for the protocol and port numbers.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q191687
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
well? well?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
i'll have to ask for permission from the asylum director first.
(actually, it's tea-time now). hbg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 07:34 pm
hbg, in this particular instance, given that you say you've tried without security & privacy software in place without the results you're after, and that you say your other settings are nominally correct, I'd say odds are good your ISP's HelpDesk is the resource of choice - give it a shot.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
timber : i'll have to get serious in solving the problem. since the IPS has its own e-mail system, i'm not too inconvenienced, but i'd like to solve the problem.
thanks for moving me along ! i need a push on occasion. hbg
0 Replies

Waack

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:30 am
Hello, I am fairly new to computersso you need to speak English. I hope someone can help me with my problem. When "forwarding" emails with pictures or video clips some of my friends can't open them. Is it my computer or theirs. Mine is Windows XP, Professional 2000. Can I send them is some other format? Looking forward to a reply, Sandra Waack
0 Replies

Waack

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 02:53 am
Hello, I assume that no one can solve my problem re forwarding pictures or videos, in Outlook Express, that some of my friends can't open. Does any one out there know where I may have to go to solve this problem? Anxiously awaiting a reply. Waack, Sandra
0 Replies

meL999

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:24 pm
Waack wrote:
Hello, I assume that no one can solve my problem re forwarding pictures or videos, in Outlook Express, that some of my friends can't open. Does any one out there know where I may have to go to solve this problem? Anxiously awaiting a reply. Waack, Sandra

dont use Outlook Express...use Outlook.

"SOME of your friends" ??

THAT sounds like thier problem...ho ho ho
Shocked
0 Replies