Music suggestions for my gadget thingummyjig.

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:38 pm
Some of you may already be aware that I became an official wrinkly at the end of last month, and to celebrate my ancientness, I was bought a funny little white gadget that can apparently hold three or four thousand tracks.

It came complete with a base station, so the old wind up gramophone has been relegated to the servants quarters, allowing me to plug the gadget thingy in, turn on the little blue light on the unit that casts an eeire glow onto the nearby saxifraga, and listen to things called "playlists".

Now....these "playlists" can each have their own little name, and can each contain similar types of music relating to that name, in order to for instance, keep one mellow all evening, or turn one into a Jimmy Hendrix lookalike air guitarist, if the curtains have been closed and the family are out of the way.

I have already pressed some buttons and have managed to load the gadget with about 800 tracks so far, but am running out of steam.

I am now working on the aforementioned mellow playlist, and then want to start on some other ideas.

This is where you come in......

I want some suggestions for the following....

Mellow

Mellow CLASSICAL.

Rock (stuff that makes you want to drive fast)

Sunday morning

Favourite tracks from real, classic albums. (Old, new, but goood)

Anything else that would inspire me, really.

I listen to, and like, anything. My lad has just turned me on to the Arctic Monkeys, and I am recently getting into Tool, thanks to a thread on A2k .....so don't think that this ancient body has a music brain stuck in the 70's.

So come on......inspire me, or remind me of those classic tracks that I have overlooked.

The gadget thingy is ready and waiting............
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 885 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:16 pm
1. guided by voices (rock and roll, for lack of a better description) the last albums are best for the uninitiated, they include, half smiles of the decomposed, earthquake glue, universal truths and cycles, do the collapse, mag earwhig

2. death cab for cutie (indie darlings turned major label darlings) most anything is quite good, transatlanticism and the photo album are my faves

3. kings of convenience (chillout) quiet is the new loud and the remix album versus are very good

4. the flaming lips (rock and roll for lack of a better term) the new listener may want to try the soft bulletin and yoshimi battles the pink robots, also the single she don't use jelly, classic song

5. really good mix stuff back to mine and another latenight/late night tales, dj's and producers put together mixes of the sort of things they like to listen to after hours, all top notch releases

6. from left field, look for dj dangermouse and the grey album, a hip hop beatles mix, or better yet the kleptones - a night at the hip hopera, various queen tunes meets hip hop in an all out sampledelic attack on the music industry and copyright infringement
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
Thanks dj, most of these are new to me, so I will check them out.

Beatles hip hopped? I'll certainly be interested to hear how that has turned out.

Cheers.

I'm sitting here at the mo, with "Tool" on quite loud and my son has turned up unexpectedly.

He hadn't heard of them, and now thinks I'm an even groovier old fart than before.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:44 pm
Lord E,
I know you are a huge admirer of our beloved Emperor "Little Boots". Here is what is playing on his iPod according to iTunes :

"Centerfield," John Fogerty
"New Biography," Van Morrison
"Brown Eyed Girl," Van Morrison
"My Sharona," The Knack
"Deutschland Uber Alles," The Ashcroft Family String Band
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:51 am
Weezer 'El Scorcho' and 'Undid the sweater song'
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
Re: Music suggestions for my gadget thingummyjig.
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Rock (stuff that makes you want to drive fast)

For this, I recommend Midnight Oil's Blue Sky Mining!

It should only be aired on the open road, though - and I'm not sure you have much in the way of open roads over there!

Worked a treat driving through Swedish Lapland, though! And there were still some reindeer to be seen (and eaten - but not the same ones!)

And it knocks the boredom of the drive north from Sydney!

Hard to believe that Peter Garrett , the lead singer of the Oils, is now a respectable politician (if there is such thing!) Labor Party, you know!

Some of the other Oils tracks are good for driving, too - pisser about speed limits and traffic lights, though!@
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:26 pm
Check out Iron and Wine for mellow-- if you're feeling rattled they can smooth you out.

Also, Iron and Wine with Calexico is quite good.

go here:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/calexico05/
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:48 pm
looking through what i've got, here's an over-long list. we all love the smell of our own, don't we?

jon spencer blues explosion - "orange" (other albums highly suspect) (play at high volume; make sure the wife hears that mr spencer -- and you, by extension -- favors a "full-grown" woman)

clem snide - "your favorie music" (mellow, peaks with a genius cover of "donna," which may be the only cut you'd ever want... if that...)

for the flaming lips, i prefer "clouds taste metallic" (diff'rent strokes, similar folks)

the fugees - "the score" (let this old poser new jersey college-kid hip hop crew let your neighbors know how you feel about the man, herb, and, of course, defecating on other djs' microphones)

also echo dj on guided by voices - though "mag earwig!" is the only one i really dig.

jane's addiction - "nothing's shocking" or "ritual de lo habitual" (damn it, they were seminal art-noise-metal-pop when i was learning about my special purpose)

jeff buckley - "grace" (categorize it where you want; his version of leonard cohen's "hallelujah" is the feces)

johnny cash - "live at folsom / san quentin" (movie be damned)

kid koala - "some of my best friends are djs" (unless you don't like the turntable jockeys)

(led zeppelin, "physical graffiti" and such are probably a bit obvious, eh?)

there's this one liz phair track that makes me hot. does that make me gay?

m. ward - "transfiguration of vincent" (definitely sunday morning fare; his one standout album among a monotonous bunch of jangly acoustic guitar strings)

miles davis - "kind of blue" (mellow mellow mellow mellow mellow lazy junkie mellow)

neko case & her boyfriends - "furnace room lullaby" (what country music could be, if it wasn't domineered by rich morons capitalizing on rampant stupidity)

nick drake - "pink moon" (a dead moper from your side of the pond)

nina simone - "i put a spell on you" (live album - you can hear her getting more drunk as the show goes on, and it just keeps getting better; f'in brilliant)

pixies - "doolittle" (only band i've never stopped loving since i sprouted my first dark curly)

pj harvey - "rid of me" (what a grumpy girl, but she does want it rubbed until it bleeds, so at least she's a sport)

(another goes without saying... the clash - "london calling"... me favorite album, period, end of story, except for a few others)

roland kirk - "the inflated tear" (blind, diabetic, stoned, crazed, beaming, and brilliant - the only time mr kirk gotthe pro studio treatment he deserved, and the album is great. jazz, by the way)

(hate what the stones have been since, oh, 1970, but stoned sunny sunday mornings driving around town still include a play of "beggar's banquet" or "let it bleed")

schlong - "punk side story" (or maybe not; highly dependent on listener tastes)

shel silverstein - "freakin' at the freaker's ball" (see disclaimer for schlong)

thelonious monk - "underground" (jazz with sharp elbows)

tom waits - "bone machine," "the black rider," "frank's wild years," "rain dogs," "mule variations," "swordfishtrombones," "nighthawks at the diner" (personal favorite; see him live if you have a (rare) chance, even if you don't like him; great show)

violent femmes - "violent femmes" (for the awkward, horny 14-year-old loser in every worthwhile person)

william s. burroughs - "dead city radio" (uncle bill reads some stuff set to old epic and sci-fi movie music; soothes the anxious mind)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
Super Mellow right now is

Emiliana Torrini's 'Fisherman's Woman'

I can't drive fast when it's on.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:02 pm
My contribution to this thread is a link to another one...

Kazaa/etc MP3-sharers: What's your playlist?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:14 pm
From that thread, which admittedly mostly got long lists of track and artist names and might thus be mostly interesting for music geeks, here is one of my playlists thats actually accompanied with a description of each track

This is another playlist of mine on that thread that's actually got descriptions by track, though perhaps not as descriptive as with the other one...
0 Replies