Bulimics make me puke

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:22 am
hehehe...*gives self high five*...I am gooood...hehe..puke..bulimic...hehe...*sigh*...

But seriously, it's disgusting. It's really a terrible thing.
I know a girl who recently got over a problem with bulimia and it pretty much ruined her life. It was such a terrible thing for her. I don't think she'll ever be the same. Sad
Why would anyone do that to themself? Why, why, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,434 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:23 am
CrazyDiamond,

I don't think anyone wants to do this to themself. I think it's more a matter of psychological problems.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:25 am
Well that just sucks.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:26 am
Not only does it suck, it can kill. Anorexia and bulimia are very serious conditions. Princess Di was reported to be bulimic.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:28 am
Damn.
What is it? Do you just feel some kind of strong sudden compulsion to go puke? It's hard to imagine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:33 am
Do you know any control freaks? People who compulsively control their worlds - people and all? Bulemia, if it's like anorexia, is sort of akin to control freakiness and/or compulsion. Momma's right - they can't help themselves. And, it's not really very funny.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:34 am
No. Usually what bulimics do is called binge and purge. They will gorge themselves on all kinds of food and then will force themselves to vomit. I really don't know all that much about what is behind it but it has a lot to do with self-esteem.

In the case of anorexia, people will actually look in the mirror and see themselves as grotesque or very fat no matter how much they weigh.

Here is a link. Maybe it will help.

http://www.raderprograms.com/bulimia.aspx
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:18 pm
Well, I say again, that just sucks.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Well, I can't say that I disagree with you, Crazy Diamond. But, to the people that suffer from bulimia or anorexia this is very real to them. It's also something they would get rid of in a heartbeat if it were that easy. It's much like an addiction I would imagine.

Anorexia and Bulimia take a terrible toll on the body. Karen Carpenter was getting help for her anorexia but the damage had already been done to her heart and she died.

I can't imagine being in either of these two situations myself but, you never know what will effect some and not others. I am curious though, most bulimics and anorexics seem to be women. I'm going to have to check on if men suffer from these at all.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm
Yeah, poor girls. These kind of things make me love women for the things they have to go through.

I've never heard of a guy with either of these 'problems'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:44 pm
That's interesting. I haven't heard about male anorexics or bulimics either, though I suppose that might be an indication of lack of reportage rather than representing true statistics - but it sure seems not to be a problem for males.

It's as if female selfimagery were much more securely tied to magazine/movie depictions of admired females, in terms of weight.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
Here is a link that gives a bit of information on bulimia and anorexia in males. I need to read more of this.

http://www.anred.com/males.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:19 pm
Yep, I've heard of anorexia in males..... Especially in the last 10 years.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:23 pm
Yeah.

Went to the mall yesterday, damn, men are really getting the hardsell on body image themselves these days. Seems like I saw as many impeccably coiffed and toned young men carrying Abercrombie & Fitch bags as their impeccably coiffed and toned female counterparts carrying Victoria's Secret bags.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
Oh yes, I have a gay friend who was bulimic. Poor guy, he was just as insecure and deluded as a lot of teenage girls when it came to body image. Thought he had to look perfect in order to accept himself or have others accept him. It started as a way to control his weight without diet pills, then escalated into an uncontrollable behavior. Just like with girls.

Now he's an exercise freak instead. He's just substituted one obsessive behavior for another. Hopefully this one won't kill him, though. We shall see. <sigh>
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
But it's gotta hurt, right? My throat hurts when I get heartburn, and if all that crap came all the way up my throat...ow!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:00 pm
Not only does it hurt, but if you throw up often enough, your stomach acid eats away at your asophogus. Are you reading the links that have been posted here?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
throwing up is also hard on your teeth, stomach acid is bad for the enamel on teeth and leads to problems later on
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
I knew one guy, in his 20's that was bulimic....He was trying to get past all that and hadn't purged in a year or something.

I remember him saying he had been proud of himself because he didn't have to stick his finger down his throat, he was able to flex his stomach muscles to vomit.

I think bulimia must be much better understood today.

Back in 1980 I think it was, I got a new roommate in college. We didn't dislike each other, but we were just from different planets. We didn't understand each others concepts of fun or choice of friends.

One day, when I came back to the dorm, she was finishing a big chicken dinner with some friends. She said something like "God, I ate to much, I'm going to go throw up." and left the room. I remember looking like this Shocked Shocked but her friends didn't even blink an eye. When she came back, I asked "did you really just puke?"

She looked at me like this Confused Confused and said, "Well, yeah, what do you do when you're too full?"

It seemed so lame to say - "I just feel too full for awhile." I had this really vague idea of bulimia, I had heard a lot more about anorexia. Being so young, I remember one of the things that puzzled me was that I figured if she did that she'd be thin. Pardon me, but she was really sort of sloppy looking if you know what I mean. No muscle tone. I didn't know about screwed up body image at that time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 08:40 pm
My town seems to have an unusually high amount of bulimic women. Every time I walk down the sidewalk and see one approaching me they always start throwing up.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bulimics make me puke
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 09:54:58