Cabbages and Kings- Any information?

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:43 pm
I visited a lovely dusty old bookshop in York today and found two books which grabbed my attention. The titles were; The Man Who Lost Himself by Osbert Sitwell and Cabbages and Kings by O. Henry. I bought both books; the first for £1 and the second had no price so the woman sold it to me for £1, both are hardbacks, second hand but nice smelling.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the books. I intend to give them to a friend who's a keen reader but I don't really know much about them myself. The Man Who Lost Himself had a nice blurb but I have no information about Cabbages and Kings apart from it features in a song in Alice In Wonderland.

Any information on either book would be much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,129 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:47 pm
I know nothing about Sitwell but O Henry is a well known and well regarded American short story writer from the early 20th century. This is probably a collection of his short stories.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:10 pm
Osbert Sitwell is one of my favorite authors and eccentrics.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/sitwello.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:39 pm
The time has come, the walrus said
To speak of many things
Of ships and shoes, and sealing wax
Of cabbages and Kings . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
The first half of "Of Cabbages and Kings" involves a bunch of grifters in some fictitious Central American republic, most notable for revolutions and the banana harvest. The story of the man who imported cockleburrs is worth the price of the book.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
Ok, so which one should i give as a gift?

I've found out more about Cabbages and Kings but still like the look of The Man Who Lost Himself. Ohh decisions!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
Since I haven't read The Man Who Lost Himself, I can offer not guidence, except this: the latter part of Cabbages is an interesting slice of America, for the time it was written (noticing you quote prices in £) so read it before giving it away. O Henry has an interesting sense of humor.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:55 pm
I gave The Man Who Lost Himself to my friend and he seemed very happy! He would have liked either but I feel i made a wise choice.
0 Replies