AS A KID, I WORE SOME WEIRD CLOTHES.

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:50 am
Actually, I was pretty normal during my elementary school days...but then, junior high and high school began a new era. I took a pair of size 10+ suede shoes and colored then light blue; later, I modified them by creating a gird work of dark blue squares on top of the light blue. And yes, I wore them to school.

My mother was from a generation of women who had sewn their own clothes. She took delight in making for me a white satin back vest with small yellow and black squares on the front section. I paired it with the blue shoes; then, I took my dark blue suede jacket and turned it inside out. You see, the lining of the jacket was a silken dark blue color with 1/4 inch white polka dots. And yes, I wore the combination to school.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,531 • Replies: 29
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:23 am
ok
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
I always wore weird clothes. Many of my clothes were hand me downs from neighbors (horrifying), other things bought at thrift stores and the such..amazing what you can find at an apartment sale (city) or yard sale (Vermont times). When we were in New York City my clothes tended to be bought in the Gimbel's bargain basement...code words for clothes that nobody in their right mind would want to wear. They didn't bother me all that much and as the 60's took off that individual style seemed to work out okay. Anything was better than another one of those hideous green hooded winter jackets from the Irish kid down the block. Didn't he ever wear anything other than f...ing green? Other kids went to Korvettes and the such for clothes...we never did. Then one day I made it to the big time and a trip to Robert Hall. Real clothes at last!

My sister had some lovely outfits she made herself, the most comical of course being the skirt which was made from left over fabric from the sofa slipcovers. Yup....she used to disappear when she wore that skirt and sat down on the sofa.

I didn't care much for denims although they were becoming quite popular, and Mother didn't believe that sneakers should be worn except if the school required them for gym class. Had 2 pairs of lace up Oxfords...one brown pair and one black pair. At about age 12 I broke out of that and got into other footwear...although sneakers, even now are of no interest to me.

These days I still dress different from the mainstream and it doesn't seem to phase me one bit...although other people do occasionally have a comment...guess it must be their jealousy or else a low cost hobby for them Very Happy .
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
My mom used to dress me like a little pimp. Plaid pants, a collar, suspenders, trench coat and hat. I find it's influencing me these days. I mean, I wear v-neck sweaters and corduroys, sort of an early 80s preppy thing, not too much different from when I was four.

Except the clothes are bigger.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:49 pm
Gus, did you wear clothes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
I guess what i wore was sufficiently normal for Eisenhower America . . . what i hated was the ironing--no permanent press . . . and you did not leave my grandmother's house in clothing which needed pressing, in her estimation . . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:54 pm
...yes?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:41 pm
I was a kid in the 70s. Nuff said.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:59 pm
Actually, I'm not sure. I was 30 at the time, working long hours and living with a poor marriage. What happened in the 70s?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:07 pm
littlek wrote:
I was a kid in the 70s. Nuff said.

so true, i was born in 62, public school lasted into 1976, then highschool tthrough 81, so lots of odd clothes

grade 8 graduation, dark blue polyester suit with white stitching and pale blue shirt, open at the neck, collar of shirt over collar of suit jacket

craziness
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:10 pm
The issue of clothes has always been problematic for me.

My muscles are tightening up even thinking about my history with clothes.

If I had my way, everyone would wear some loose caftan like thing. You could cinch it in at the waist with a cord. There could be some velcro strips on the sleeves so you could roll them up and not catch them on fire when scrambling eggs.

No loud prints allowed. Solids would be preferable.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:58 pm
Chai, you are intriguing! (just read your profile)...I love words, especially when they are blended just so, so.... <smile>

When I was a kid, blue jeans were the thing...still are, aren't they? In my family you worn them, did some patching and put them on again. I don't remember T-shirts, but I do have a mental picture of small blue checked cotton shirts. I received a new suit every four years or so.
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:09 pm
er, is everyone here...oldish? like, older than their 20's?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:11 pm
No, i don't think any of us were born in the 20s . . . but if Au29 shows up, then he just barely qualifies--1929 . . .
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:23 pm
I wore the weirdest clothes of anyone, I bet. My mom liked to sew, so my stuff was always some goofy Butterick version of "hip." Plus, it was the eighties. Yeesh.

Then, as a teenager, rather than getting better as I got to pick my own clothes, it just got worse. I'm of the same mindset as Chai, I'd really prefer if we all just wore loose fitting robes. So that combined with the bagginess that was popular in the early ninties encouraged me to wear absolutely gigantic men's shirts every single damn day. Yikes.

I'm not sure things are much better for me now, actually...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:40 pm
Mandso wrote:
er, is everyone here...oldish? like, older than their 20's?

Whatever do you mean my dear?

Obviously I'm no older than 22.

http://www.sfbaytimes.com/data/articles3396_c9ef7456fab3fb3aa6da80afa4ffa671.jpg
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:01 pm
everyone seems older than me, anyway.
best not to mention my age.
actually, i might be the only teenager here!
eek.
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:02 pm
by the way, that picture is disgusting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:03 pm
Mandso - you're not the only teen, but you're one of a few. Don't worry. We're nice old people.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:28 pm
Laughing Chai, I just finished watching Brazil about an hour ago. I'd never seen it before but Mr B ordered it as our first pick after joining NetFlix last week. STRANGE, STRANGE movie!

Clothes of my childhood in one word - ugh! Mostly I got my sister's hand-me-downs but, given that I was about 6 inches taller than her, nothing ever fit. It wasn't until the late 60s when elephant-leg bell bottoms were in style that I was able to get pants that were long enough. I can't wear crop pants or capris to this day because it brings back the horrors of clothing that didn't fit.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » AS A KID, I WORE SOME WEIRD CLOTHES.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 05:30:47