United Negro College Fund

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:20 am
I think they'd be foolish to change their name just so people could "feel better" about it.

The word Negro has a long history and it implies a LOT. Wasn't the UNCF founded in the 40s? Back when they had Negro sports leagues and Negro water fountains and Negro this and that?

There are not many words more meaningful to American history than Negro.

I hope they never change their name.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
What's dumb about it? I cannot even say the name of the damn thing in conversation without being labeled a racist. That's what.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
Ted Nugent was once told by a black musician that he "played guitar like a ni**er". Every time he refers to it he gets called a racist. Every time. He's proud of the label.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:26 am
You can't say "The United Negro College Fund" in conversation without being branded a racist?

Freaky.

Be careful not to prounounce it "Nigra".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
cjhsa wrote:
I cannot even say the name of the damn thing in conversation without being labeled a racist.

So you consider Wikipedia, Britannica, some dozen of history sites etc etc etc to be racist because they write about the Negro Foundation?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
I cannot even say the name of the damn thing in conversation without being labeled a racist.

So you consider Wikipedia, Britannica, some dozen of history sites etc etc etc to be racist because they write about the Negro Foundation?

He said he gets labeled a racist when he says the name.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
Ticomaya wrote:

He said he gets labeled a racist when he says the name.

Okay, got it.

So, cjhsa, why do you get labeled as racist when saying "United Negro College Fund" when others obviously don't?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
I think the context in which he's saying it might be important.

If he says "I made a donation to the United Negro College Fund" people probably wouldn't consider it racist.

If he says "I don't get the United Negro College Fund, should kids get money just because they're black?" people might interpret it that way.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:46 am
The UNCF is an old and admired organization. They have the right to give scholarships to whomever they wish. They have the right to call themselves whatever they wish. The organization chose their name way before the word "Negro" was considered politically incorrect.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:03 pm
Somehow I knew this would stir up a hornets nest.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Somehow I knew this would stir up a hornets nest.

Nah- I am just suprised that someone would take offense at that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:09 pm
Maybe I should start a "Name your own scholarship" thead.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_ss/welcome.jsp

cjhsa- If you skim through this site, you will find that there are scholarships for just about everyone and everything!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:18 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So, cjhsa, why do you get labeled as racist when saying "United Negro College Fund" when others obviously don't?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:27 pm
Maybe it's a Michigan thing. Dunno, I'm not going to try and find out.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ted Nugent was once told by a black musician that he "played guitar like a ni**er". Every time he refers to it he gets called a racist. Every time. He's proud of the label.

It's impressive how much Ted Nugent informs your world view. Hero worship is fascinating to behold in an adult...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
It's a political thing D'art.... trust me. I'd also love to be able play guitar like that. But I don't want to be him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Maybe it's a Michigan thing.

From The Saginaw News ( Saginaw, MI 48607):

Quote:
Event celebrates United Negro College Fund
Saturday, January 07, 2006
DEAN BOHN
THE SAGINAW NEWS
A night of food, fashion and fun will highlight tonight's 27th annual Tri-County United Negro College Fund scholarship dinner.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm
Got pics? LOL!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:31 pm
If someone were to to set up a nationwide {well advertised} "Poor White Kids College Fund" it would be attacked by the ACLU and the NAACP, before the ink had dried on the first scholarship, because it would be excluding other races.

Would it be able to stand as an organization, hard to say...I'm sure a name change would be in order to avoid the bad press, or they would have to give scholarships to anyone regardless of race...which defeats the purpose...in name anyway.

It's a double standard.

With that said....The motto of the UNCF, is one of the best that's ever been written....and very true. At this moment, the cure to cancer might very well be floating around in the back of the mind of some inner city kid.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 06:35:55