United Negro College Fund

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
There's a banner ad for it cycling through A2K. Anybody take offense?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,057 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
I just wonder why there isn't a Poor White Kid College Fund. Is that bad?

I have nothing against the UNCF, but would have really liked to not have to take out as much as I did in student loans.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:51 am
The can put all that adds they want to. They will never gat a cent from me. I have often wondered about the uproar that would occur if there was a United White college fund.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:53 am
Are you asking if we object to the use of the word "Negro" or if we object to the idea that they give grants to black kids?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:53 am
boomerang wrote:
Are you asking if we object to the use of the word "Negro" or if we object to the idea that they give grants to black kids?

Good question Boomer, and I have often wondered myself why they haven't changed the name yet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:54 am
OH MY GOD. I am so mad. I posted here on your thread cjhsa and the far button came up....but I missed it!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
HA! It came up again after my last post. Cjhsa, you are the Fart Button master!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:56 am
Well, this thread is definitely deserving of a fart button.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Did somebody sit on a duck?

Actually I'm wondering both things. Why not change the name, and how can they be racist in who they choose to give grants to?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:00 am
There are scholarships that are only for Italians, is that discrimination?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:00 am
Yes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:01 am
Quote:
Since 1972, the UNCF motto has been "A mind is a terrible thing to waste," and has become one of the more widely recognized slogans in advertising history. The motto has been used in award-winning UNCF ad campaigns and was created by Forest Long of the advertising agency Young and Rubicam.

It was once famously flubbed by then-U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle, who attempted to paraphrase it at a UNCF fundraiser as "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:02 am
Harvard University offers scholarships based on the student's last name, including Baxendale, Hudson, Thayer, Downer, Bright.

The Alice McArver Ratchford Scholarship is restricted to University of North Carolina at Greensboro students who are female, live on campus, don't own a car, have no other scholarships, have never been married and who demonstrate financial need

The Icy Frost Bridge Scholarship at DePauw University is restricted to female music students who can sing or play the national anthem with sincerity. Icy's brother, Jack Frost Bridge, is an alumnus of DePauw University.

http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/unusual.phtml

There are scholarships available to every particular under the sun - for left handed people, for people who are good duck callers, for whatever you can imagine.

I had a friend pay for nearly half her education by applying for those scholarships that "nobody else wants to bother with". A couple of hundred bucks here, a few hundred bucks there, a thousand bucks once in a while. It took a lot of effort and organization on her part. I was writing a recommendation letter for her at least once a month.

Why not scholarships for black kids?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:03 am
cjhsa wrote:
Yes.

Have you done a search for college scholarships? They are all discriminatory by nature. They choose what kinds of students they want to help, and they do so. It's a free country.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:04 am
What boomer said.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:05 am
I got a singing schlorship. I am the bastid who participated in a scam that discriminated against all who can't carry a tune.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
Right-o.

One of the scholarships I got was for disabled students who specifically came from a blue-collar background. There are scholarships that are ridiculously specific. A really common reason for scholarships is that a person who started out poor and has made a lot of money wants to help out some other kids who are currently in the position the benefactor was as a college student. The whole "Why, you remind me of me when I was your age" thing.

Anyway, there are a ton of them, (including lots and lots of subsets of poor white kids), the work is finding them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
cjhsa wrote:
Why not change the name, and how can they be racist in who they choose to give grants to?

While the second part of your question has answered more than sufficiently, for the first part I suggest Google

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/6996/googledumbquestion6xs.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:18 am
There are no dumb questions but there are dumb scholarships.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
What's dumb about it?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » United Negro College Fund
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:07:05