I HAVE SOME DAMN QUESTIONS ABOUT BROADBAND PHONE SERVICE!!!

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
WHY AM I YELLING???!!! I'LL TELL YOU WHY I'M YELLING!!!

I don't know. Just for fun, I guess.

Anyway, here are my questions about Broadband phone service.

First of all, at the moment, I don't have a service provider for broadband. I have a stolen wifi connection--I don't know who it is, but someone in a nearby apartment has a connection that I am now hooked into.

So...can I still get broadband phone service? Do they need to have an ISP to hook up the phone?

Also, how is broadband phone service? Does anyone have it? Do you like it? Is it the same thing as what Time Warner Cable calls "Digital Phone"?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 926 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
I've no idea about American service providers Kicky, but the broadband via my phone here in England is bloody brilliant.

It has worked perfectly since day one, I can use the internet as much as I like and it never cuts me off in mid sente
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:12 pm
I'd have to guess that you could probably get it to work but not very well. The Voice-over-IP equipment (usually just a beefed up router) needs to know the actual IP address assigned by the ISP. If you are poaching off of someone else's signal then you are probably only seeing the IP addy that their box is assigning you. The Router needs to register the actual ISP assigned IP addy with the VOIP provider's servers so that they know what IP address to route calls to your number to.

It's different than Time-Warner's Digital Phone. Time-Warner slices off a small portion of the bandwidth available in the canle that runs to your house and dedicates it to the phone's use. That bandwidth is never available to IP traffic. In a VOIP system the phone signal actually uses the IP bandwidth so when the phone isn't in use the bandwidth is available for other use.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
Excellent information, Fishin'. I guess I'll just have to get a traditional phone hook-up if I want to save money. Of course, with this stolen internet hook-up I will never know when it's just going to stop working. That bothers me. I don't want to get cut off right in the middle of trying to say someth
0 Replies