Importing questions, from China and elsewhere

smaness

Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
I am a small start-up business interested in importing handicrafts and artwork from various countries. I recently spent three weeks in China, in Shanghai, Lijiang and Dali. I found some items I would like to import from these places. I have the website address of one company that produces one of the items, otherwise I have no leads. How would I go about finding producers and buying from them? I am also interested in importing from countries such as India, Egypt and Turkey.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Sonja
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,036 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

ai

Mon 5 Jun, 2006 07:23 am
try some
I know some factories producing handicrafts , like Christmas stuff and artificial flowers . would like to help you out . but the best way is to visit the factory in China
0 Replies

Landsit

Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:04 am
Import/Export Agent in Taiwan
Hi, I read your post about looking for suppliers in China. I have recently started a new business venture as an Import/Export Agent. I have found one supplier from Singapore that makes custom engraved wood that has an artistic look to it with color, it's very impressive and I think cheap enough to be able to export, pay shipping and still resale for a nice profit. My website is Edit: Moderator: Link removed for info on my company.(I do not have my products listed yet, but you can Email me for info) . Some info about me, I'm a young American from Tampa Bay, FL and I am currently studying Chinese in Taiwan and starting my business. I speak English & Chinese and have traveled most of Asia. If you have any questions you can talk to me on MSN([email protected]) and good luck with your new business!
0 Replies

smymag

Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:37 pm
Hi, I just found this site and it seems to be pretty informative.
I am trying to make purchases from four suppliers in Shenzhen, China.
What I've found to be interesting is as follows:
1) All four of them want me to pay by Western Union (payments are under $1000 each).
2) The payment made out to an individual's name instead of the company's name.
3) None would supply customer referrals instead some supplied tracking
numbers from EMS to USA.
4) They will only accept L/C if amount above $5000 except for one T/T
above $2000.
Are these normal business practices when dealing with chinese suppliers?
Thank you. Your answers will be greatly appreciated.
Sergio.
0 Replies

Lessss

Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
I would suggest you inform them that western union is unacceptable and making check to personal name is doubly unacceptable. Both are clear ways to lose your money outright and get nothing.
0 Replies

smymag

Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:04 pm
Lessss wrote:
I would suggest you inform them that western union is unacceptable and making check to personal name is doubly unacceptable. Both are clear ways to lose your money outright and get nothing.

Thanks Lessss.
Smymag.
0 Replies

Lessss

Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:03 am
If you really want to do business with them I'd suggest some form of escrow. If a large amount of money is involved arrange for a third party inspection.
0 Replies

tonyqin

Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
I am Chinese and work on helping importer to source in China.Hope the following infomation can help you

1) Western Union is unacceptable
2) payment should made out to the company's name.
3) i don't konw
4) They will only accept L/C if amount above $5000 except for one T/T
above $2000. That's normal business practices when dealing with chinese suppliers
0 Replies

markocao

Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:00 am
hi!!!my name is marko and i m a local boy in china,i m a exporter and soho,maybe i can give

you some advice for doing business with chinese supplier,BTW,I m special in manufacturing

and exporting electrical home appliance.if you any inquiry,pls contact me feel...you can

reach me by e-mail:markocao(at)foxmail.com ;Msn: markocao(at)hotmail.com.....
0 Replies