Tiffany to sue E Bay for Facilitating Counterfeit Items

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:46 pm
husker wrote:
Phoenix32890 lots for cars sold on ebay motors

Are you saying that cars are bought sight unseen, (and undriven?) I think that anybody who does this is nuts!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:50 pm
That always amazes me how stupid people are. They will buy a car (maybe from New Orleans) they will buy stolen art (most art listings have a list of stolen works.

Stuff like Tiffany glass, if youre a collectore, may only value out at a few K, but if its an important piece you need for a trio, youll go look even several states away. Im always meeting new folks at auction pre-sale inspections .
There is actually a trade paper called :"Antique Fakes and Reroductions" Its out of Iowa and lists the "latest" good and bad knock offs. (The latest is really good antique Buck knives)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:51 pm
this is worth the read
Quote:
January 27, 2006

Record Label Supports Man Accused Of Downloading Music Illegally

By Antone Gonsalves Courtesy of TechWeb News
A major Canadian record company has taken the unusual step of hiring a
defense lawyer for a man accused by the U.S. record industry of downloading
hundreds of songs illegally.
The Nettwerk Music Group said it would pay for the defense of David
Greubel, a father of four children who is the defendant in a complaint
filed by the Record Industry Association of America in a U.S. District
Court in Fort Worth, Texas. Greubel is accused of having on the family
computer 600 music files suspected of being illegally downloaded from
file-sharing services. Among the files is the song "Sk8er Boi" by artist
Avril Lavigne, who is a client of Nettwerk.

"Suing music fans is not the solution; it's the problem," Terry McBride,
chief executive of Nettwork, said in a statement this week.

In defending the RIAA's action, spokesman Jonathan Lamy said Friday in an email, "Stealing another person's property is theft, it's against the law
and breaking the law must carry consequences or no one will think twice." Lamy said downloading music illegally deprived labels, songwriters and musicians of their "hard-earned royalties."

McBride, however, disagreed, saying litigation doesn't benefit artists.

Litigation is not 'artist development,'" McBride said. "Litigation is a
deterrent to creativity and passion and it is hurting the business I love.
The current actions of the RIAA are not in my artists' best interests.

Nettwerk has hired Chicago-based Mudd Law Offices to represent Greubel. Attorney Charles Lee Mudd Jr. has represented individuals subpoenaed and sued by the RIAA since 2003. The record company said it would also pay any fines should the family lose the case. The RIAA is seeking a $9,000 stipulated judgment as a penalty, but would accept $4,500, if Greubel pays the amount within a specific period of time, Nettwerk said.

The record company became involved when Greubel's 15-year-old daughter Elisa contacted Nettwerk rap artist MC Lars, saying she could relate to his tune, "Download This Sing," because her family was being sued by the RIAA.

"You can't fight them, trying could possibly cost us millions," Elisa
Greubel said in an email, according to Nettwerk. "The line, 'they sue
little kids downloading hit songs,' basically sums a lot of the whole thing
up. I'm not saying it is right to download, but the whole lawsuit business
is a tad bit outrageous.

Mudd declined Friday to discuss his legal strategy against the RIAA, until
he files his response to the complaint, which is due Feb. 24. In general,
however, Mudd said the RIAA has "misused" U.S. copyright law, and said the people he has represented against the industry trade group are average Joes who get caught in litigation for doing something they didn't realize was illegal.

"The people I represent are not the thieves that the RIAA has made them out to be," Mudd said. "They are consumers using consumer products and software -- average individuals like you and I who find themselves in a situation that they had no idea they would be in."

Mudd claimed that nearly all his clients would have stopped downloading
music, if they had received a warning from the RIAA before it filed a
lawsuit.

The current case is unusual in that Greubel, through the backing of
Nettwerk, may have the money to fight the RIAA through the courts, Mudd said. Cases similar to Greubel's have seldom even gone to trial, with most defendants avoiding further litigation by agreeing to pay the RIAA.

http://internetweek.cmp.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177104848
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:52 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
husker wrote:

Are you saying that cars are bought sight unseen, (and undriven?) I think that anybody who does this is nuts!

yes in a way - photos and carfax
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
husker wrote:

I bought my truck through E-Bay. I researched, found what I wanted and hired a local guy to go out and check to make sure the description was on the up-and-up (there are a lot of companies that do this...). The seller was a large, Authorized GM dealer (with no negatives according to his local BBB) and warrantied the truck for 60 days/2,000 miles.

Even with all the leg work and teh inspection that I paid for I still saved over $4,000 over what it would have cost to buy the same truck from a local dealer. And I haven't had a single problem with the truck in the 6 months since I bought it.

That's the only big-ticket item I've bought on E-Bay but I've bought a lot of other stuff (almost all under $30) and I only got stiffed once - and that was by a guy that was local to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
fishin' wrote:
In this case the fakes were apparently pointed out to E-Bay and they did nothing. Banning the sellers probably would have been enough. They don't have to hunt down the fakes themselves - they just have to act when the fakes are reported to them.

I agree, but I can see how this would be prohibitive. Like, what if people start saying that they got a fake just to knock out their (legitimate) competition? It seems like there are too many opportunities for abuse if they take everything seriously without attempting to fact-check.

They should probably eliminate the policy, stop pretending they care, and take a big hit to their business.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
We bought a car off of E-Bay too. A '72 Jeep Wrangler. We had to drive up to Spokane to test it out and have it checked out. We bought it from a person, not a company. It was a great deal!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
I agree, but I can see how this would be prohibitive. Like, what if people start saying that they got a fake just to knock out their (legitimate) competition? It seems like there are too many opportunities for abuse if they take everything seriously without attempting to fact-check.

I would think they'd do some fact-checking before booting a seller and if someone attempts to knock a legit seller they could be knocked off just as easily. I'm not saying that they wouldn't have some issues to deal with here. It would take a concerted effort on their part but in the long run they'd benefit from it.

Quote:
They should probably eliminate the policy, stop pretending they care, and take a big hit to their business.

Personally, I don't think they will. They make waaaaay to much money to just take a pass on it and allow someone else to start-up another site and take their business away. The only sellers they'd have left would be those selling fakes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
boomerang wrote:
We bought a car off of E-Bay too. A '72 Jeep Wrangler. We had to drive up to Spokane to test it out and have it checked out. We bought it from a person, not a company. It was a great deal!

you didn't even tell me you were here <frowns>
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
I saw a piece on 'Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports' about counterfeit signed-sports memorabilia. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth are bing peddled on E-Bay, and there ain't a dang thing anyone can do about it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
This was about 4 years ago, husker. I don't think I knew you lived there then.

Plus, we were on our way to Yellowstone and just did a drive by, checked out the car and hit the road.

Mr. B went back about a month later and bought the car.

NEXT time I'm certainly coming to see you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
There has been at least one local case when the victim of the burglarly "solved" the crime when he spotted his property for sale on E Bay.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:10 am
Re: Tiffany to sue E Bay for Facilitating Counterfeit Items
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What do YOU think? Is E Bay responsible for policing the items that are sold on their website? Should E Bay post a warning on all items for sale, that they are not responsible for the truthfulness of the ad?

I don't know. When someone on a jumble sale sells fake Calvin Klein T-Shirts, does American law require that the jumble sale's organizer throw out the fraudster? Does it hold the organizer liable for any damages to the customers? I haven't thought this through and hold no strong views either way. But my gut reaction is that I wouldn't hold the jumble sale organizer liable. What I do I find important is that the law pick one principle and apply it consistently online and offline.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that the problem is the hugeness of E Bay, and the effect that the fakes had on the prices of the real goods. That site moves an awful lot of stuff, probably at a volume never seen before.

The same can be said of matchmaking sites. Do you want parship to ban every lonely heart whose possessor says he is younger, richer, and fitter than he actually is?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
Not me, Thomas. I have always been a big believer of "caveat emptor". It is up to each person to determine the amount of risk that he wishes to take. The problem is that many people are so enamoured of a "bargain" that they have not adequately considered the risks involved.

To quote two old proverbs:

"There's no such thing as a free lunch".

"If you think that it is too good to be true, it probably isn't".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:44 am
I just read Fishin's post about Ebay's policy. If they say they have a policy of sacking fraudsters, and they don't enforce this policy, this may be different. They might be misrepresenting their product to their customers. That may well be illegal. But if they hadn't announced this policy, I wouldn't hold them liable.
0 Replies